Chamber length?

WV Sendero

What is the best way to measure chamber length and determine the maximum trim length for your brass when you are only using the brass in one specific gun? How much shorter should the brass be than the chamber length?

What is the best way to measure chamber length and determine the maximum trim length for your brass when you are only using the brass in one specific gun? How much shorter should the brass be than the chamber length?

The best way that I know is to do a chamber cast using Cerrosafe lo temp from Brownells
to find out exactly how long the chamber COL is and trim .020 shorter.

Cerrosafe can be melted with hot water and will not harm the chamber.

Place a tight patch about 1/2 '' past the throat and pour the Cerrosafe in the chamber just enough
to fill it to the case head with a little button on the end to give you the whole chamber (Do not
overfill or it may be hard to remove) if you do a hair dryer will remove it easy.

There are gauges that you can buy to do this but with the Cerrosafe you have a physical
record/cast of your chamber. and it will give you all of the dimensions of your chamber for
24 hours, after that it is not dimensionally stable.

J E CUSTOM

I would think Cerrosafe would be more informative since you could measure all aspects of the chamber and see any imperfections.

But, I'm guessing you really need to remove the barrel to use Cerrosafe? Whereas the Sinclair guage can be used without removing the barrel?

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.