CFE223 in cold weather??

Idgunner

I have used CFE223 for a few years to hunt chucks from the end of March to the end of July here in Idaho. I have 26 inch 8 twist barrels and shoot 75 gr Hornady ELDMs. The CFE223 has been a great powder for me. I just replaced one of my 223 barrels with a new 8 twist Criterion barrel and can't get that thing to shoot. Velocities and groups are all over the place. A friend who used to be a competition shooter has suggested that perhaps the CFE is not good when the outside temps hit the teens and low 20's. Chuck season usually varies from about 35 to 90 and it burns well though that temp range. I have some hunting loads from last season that are charged with AR-COMP behind 77g STMKs so tomorrow I'm going to try those and I've loaded up some of my annealed Lapua brass with the AR-Comp and the ELDMs. Hopefully I will finally be able to prove that this barrel will shoot.
Has anyone here had experience with CFE223 in low temps?

Don't know how temp sensitive it is since have not used it yet.
Just curious as to why the US government contracted with Hodgdon to produce this powder for military use in the 5.56, 7.62.
Yes it was made with ingredients to prevent "Coper Fouling", (CFE) but didn't Hodgdon and the US Military also think of use in environmental differences in temperature???

Don't know how temp sensitive it is since have not used it yet.
Just curious as to why the US government contracted with Hodgdon to produce this powder for military use in the 5.56, 7.62.
Yes it was made with ingredients to prevent "Coper Fouling", (CFE) but didn't Hodgdon and the US Military also think of use in environmental differences in temperature???
Good question. When I was researching it a few years ago I seem to remember that it was temp stable. Performance for me during chuck season here in Idaho has proven that to be the case from about 35 to 95 degrees. I do know that it is fairly dirty, at least it seems to me to be. Barrels have a LOT of carbon at the end of the day.

Have you chrono'd iti warm and then cold weather...might need a hotter primer to really get performance from it....just thinking out loud here....I use in the 223ar....fairly accurate...27grs...not too dirty.....
Poc res.....cold here abouts.....
Yes I have. The chrono last week in the cold was all over the place. I've tried four different primers including CCIBR4s and CCI450s. Also Remington 7 1/2 primers. Same result from all four. Lousy accuracy. Pretty surprising considering all of the great results I have gotten from it during warmer weather.