BR2 in a 300WM in Cold weather?

twoftagl

Wondering if anyone can make a recommendation on using the BR2 and H1000in -10 degree F weather?

I know the BR2 is popular in the winmag for consistency, but just want to do a sanity check to make sure I don't end up with a load that's not reliable in cold weather.

I've got to get this load working and the only primers I have to work from are the BR2s, CCI250 (mag rifle), and the federal mag rifle (215). Wish I could find some GM215s but in a year and a half of trying to buy some, I can't wait any longer. So, given what I have, I'd rather use the BR2s as long as they'll ignite in the cold weather.

Anyone have experience in the cold with this setup?

Chris

I shoot a 7RM and I shoot FED 210M's with low extreme spreads. The BR2's have less power than 210M's, I would not use the BR2's for this application.

acccording to norma handloading manual, their reseach showed the 215 way more consistent at the lower temps.

I'd definitely go with a Magnum primer like the CCI 250s or Fed 215s you have on hand. You can try the BR2 in cold weather behind that big powder charge , but you might end up going home from the hunting fields empty handed from a misfire. The choice is yours...

I have a ton of GM215M primers, and to tell you the truth, they really don't make a load shoot any better than the regular 215s. At least that's my personal experience. I find similar results when testing the GM205M vs. The standard 205s, and GM210M vs. The standard 210s. I just use the match versions because they make me feel warm and fuzzy inside :)

Wondering if anyone can make a recommendation on using the BR2 and H1000in -10 degree F weather?

I know the BR2 is popular in the winmag for consistency, but just want to do a sanity check to make sure I don't end up with a load that's not reliable in cold weather.

I've got to get this load working and the only primers I have to work from are the BR2s, CCI250 (mag rifle), and the federal mag rifle (215). Wish I could find some GM215s but in a year and a half of trying to buy some, I can't wait any longer. So, given what I have, I'd rather use the BR2s as long as they'll ignite in the cold weather.

Chris

Chris,

I have very good results with BRs in Montana's cold weather on large rifles but not in large magnum rifles.

I have the 215s but have better results with CCI250 in my .300 Win Mags. Good luck!

Ed

Chris

You have both 250's and 215's; I'd work with both of those as they are a much better choice with 70gr+ of slow burning powder in cold temps.. If you were lighting faster powder and/or a smaller cartridge, any of the above would work, but the 300win will thank you for the mag primer when it gets below zero.

I'm glad I asked before rolling the dice. Also good to know the regular magnums seem to shoot as well for a lot of folks.

Thanks for the help and the kind offer! PM on its way...

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.