CFE223 and ETips

davkrat

I've been shooting the 150 grain ETips out of my .308 over a Varget the last few years. I haven't noticed them copper fouling much worse than cup and core bullets but I was interested when the new Copper Fouling Eliminator powder came out. Finally was able to give it a try yesterday. With Varget I've never been able to get close to published velocities. I start seeing pressure signs around 2750 fps and settled on a lighter charge at 2650. The starting load of CFE223 broke 2800 fps no problem! I worked my way up in half grain increments. I easily got 2850fps and started seeing no real increase past 2900fps and primers started flattening out. Looks like I can easily get a 200 fps increase over Varget with CFE223. No idea about the copper fouling claims but the increased velocity is enough to have me thinking this is going to be my go to powder. Can't make any claims on accuracy as I only shot 2 at each charge just looking for a velocity and pressure ceiling. Looking forward to trying some more. 2850 fps with a .469 BC and 95%+ weight retention out of a 150 grain bullet and the recoil of a .308, I know it's no screamer like the .338 super mags but for a lead free option in a do most anything light recoil gun I'm pretty excited.

WOW
if you are getting 2900fps out of a 308win useing 150grn etip that is 2690fps/2412 fpounds at 100yrds, 2480fps/2050 fpounds at 200 and 2300fps/1763 fpounds at 300 yards
now if your scope is set to point of impact at 100 yrd your drop at 200 will be 5.5" and at 300 20"
now those are some impressive numbers. If you have accuracy with those you have a real winner.

That combo has been pretty impressive on deer. The weight retention and penetration of the ETips is awesome. I've had a few hickups along the way reloading them but this new powder has me pretty excited.

I tried CFE 223 in my 375 H&H with Barnes 250g TTSX's. Results are encouraging. I am shooting 3/4 ish three shot groups @ 100 yards using 76.0g of CFE 223 with the bullet .030 off the lands.

Powder fouling wasn't any worse than with conventional bullets. Cleaned up easily with one application of Wipeout.

Didn't chrono the loads, so don't know the velocity for sure.

I haven't tried CFE223 in any larger caliber rifles yet, but I will pass on a warning. CFE223 is very sensitive to temperature changes. If you are pushing the envelope now in the cooler weather, I would be awful careful of using that load when the temperature rises.
I have been experimenting with in with my 222, with 36gr bullets, it spits them out at around 3600fps in 60-70 degree weather, but one day this summer i shot it over the chronograph when the temp was 90+ and they were going over 3900fps, with a couple approaching 4000.
With 50 gr Hornady SPSX's it was vaporizing the bullets in mid air when the temp was that high. (3500-3600 fps) A load that was very safe and accurate 20 degrees cooler.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.