Cerakoted muzzle brake cleaning

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all I've been searching on here trying to find the answers to my question and havnt found what I'm looking for.im wanting to clean the muzzle brake on my rifle and the brake is cerakoted it is a radial brake and I would like to clean it to get carbon out of ports and off the out side of the ports and I wasn't sure what the best way was to clean the ports out and what type of clean I can use that won't mess the cerakote up.thanks in advance

1) Nothing you could use would affect Cerakote. You can spray cured parts with brake cleaner or soak them in acetone- it's impervious to solvents.

2) Is the brake self-timing? If so, remove and use whatever solvent you'd normally use. If it's not- it's easiest to hang the rifle upside-down and soak the brake in a cup of solvent if you don't want to use shop swabs. I recommend against removing brakes (those that are clocked/timed) frequently for cleaning. The fine thread pitches will stretch and you'll find it will overclock when you replace it and torque against the shoulder.

1) Nothing you could use would affect Cerakote. You can spray cured parts with brake cleaner or soak them in acetone- it's impervious to solvents.

2) Is the brake self-timing? If so, remove and use whatever solvent you'd normally use. If it's not- it's easiest to hang the rifle upside-down and soak the brake in a cup of solvent if you don't want to use shop swabs. I recommend against removing brakes (those that are clocked/timed) frequently for cleaning. The fine thread pitches will stretch and you'll find it will overclock when you replace it and torque against the shoulder.
Okay I wasn't sure what may hurt the cerakote or if anything would because this is the first rifle I've had with cerakote on it.ill try some regular gun cleaners on it and I have brake clean handy as well from my work.also the brake is just a plain radial brake it doesn't time or anything

Soak it for an hour or two in a small dish of CLR (Calcium Lime and Rust remover) scrub the carbon out with a brush. Works better than any other solvents or cleaners I have tried to date.
I've heard of using CLR before on here but I thought that was only on stainless muzzle brakes and barrels and wasn't sure if it would mess the cerakote up or not

If it is self timed or if you have it shimmed to where it is properly timed, I have a similar brake off use the same stuff I use to clean my brass, diluted Hornady cleaner and sonicate in a plastic tub for about 15-30 minutes have about an inch of water in the sonicator, already had the sonicator, got one from Amazon, for a decent price, works well.

I've sprayed brakes with simple green and let them sit while I clean the rest of the gun. It takes off the vast majority of carbon build up. I clean the brakes every few hundred rounds. May not be the best way but its something I've had around

The easiest way to clean a dirty radial brake is to throw it in the garbage and replace it with a quality side baffle brake.

LMAO... I remember my first custom rifle chambered in Lazzeroni 7.82 Patriot, I asked the smith to put a brake on it & I got a radial.

Super excited to shoot it for the first time, got prone & let one slip... I thought a **** claymore just went off. Me, the rifle, the optic all covered it dirt lol Nice little divot in the ground under the muzzle.

Never again....

t