cerakote clear?

cohunt

OK, so just about ready to paint my CF stock. The stock manufacture recommended the "C" series so as not to damage the stock with oven cure or can also use duracoat (polane epoxy)

will be using a base color and then 2 contrasting colors applied with the "sponge paint" technique on this stock

should I use a topcoat of one of the matte clear offerings from cerakote? If so, which would you recommend? the mc-157q (.25 mil rated up to 800 deg just like the C series colors) or the mc-161q (thicker but only rated up to 300 deg)

I have done about 4 camo paint jobs using duracote and always used the matte clear to even out the texture and finish on those, but this will be the first time for a multi-color cerakote paint scheme for me (used single colors up to now)

those that have use cerakote for multi color paint schemes--please let me know what your results have been

Last edited:
I started using the C series clear matte on my stocks to even it out like you said. I wasn't aware there were two different matte offerings. Maybe they only had one when I last purchased it, though. I suspect it was the higher temp one you mentioned.

The description isnt really great-- it seems the 300 degree on goes on thicker and has better wear properties, I think the 800deg one is just the same as the regular colored c series coating just clear-- it says .25 mill thickness per coat so it is better for tighter fitting close tolerance parts. I think either would work-- I'm just not sure which one would be better for my situation-- I sent an email to them with no response back yet.

My advice, regardless of which clear you use, is make sure the base coats are fully cured. You'll get some imperfections otherwise.

so still no response from cerakote, I emailed and left a voice mail message with the tech department-- kinda disappointed they haven't responded

anyone else use clear over the base with "C" series?

hey!! finally got a call back just few minutes ago from their tech department--cerakote does NOT recommend using a clear over any of their base coat colors-- they said IF you wanted to add a clear over them then you need to allow them to fully cure and then lightly etch the base colors before you use a clear over them

good to know, just saved me a few bucks

hey!! finally got a call back just few minutes ago from their tech department--cerakote does NOT recommend using a clear over any of their base coat colors-- they said IF you wanted to add a clear over them then you need to allow them to fully cure and then lightly etch the base colors before you use a clear over them

good to know, just saved me a few bucks
How do you etch the base colors?

I don't know of a more durable room temperature clear clear than automotive clearcoat. Baked Cerakote clear is the bomb on bare metal.

I've used automotive clear coat on one stock and it seems to be holding up.

20190920_090551.jpg
Looks good without the clear, the spong painted areas are just a bit thicker with a slight edge but not a big deal at all.

I have used a hard mask when painting with duracoat and the clear really does even up the hard masked lines and sheen, maybe because cerakote in thinner it doesnt really need the clear over a multi color base

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.