Case splitting after fired...

Had similar issues with a 300 win mag, found the head space was .011 over Sami [sic] minimum, case life was 3 shots

Are you talking about the SAAMI belt headspace, or the head to shoulder headspace...

... no matter, 0.011" is no problem.

My 264 WM has 0.032" to 0.036" thou of space in front of the shoulder with an unfired case - I lube the case and fire it - it fills the chamber without stretching, then I adjust the die so the shoulder is never pushed back enough that there is empty space.

I shoot a 300 WM, a 264 WM and a 375 H&H, and I have never lost a belted case.

Are you talking about the SAAMI belt headspace, or the head to shoulder headspace...

... no matter, 0.011" is no problem.

My 264 WM has 0.032" to 0.036" thou of space in front of the shoulder with an unfired case - I lube the case and fire it - it fills the chamber without stretching, then I adjust the die so the shoulder is never pushed back enough that there is empty space.

I shoot a 300 WM, a 264 WM and a 375 H&H, and I have never lost a belted case.

Measured from the belt per saami spec. I was able to get the rifle replaced as tolerance was .006" over sammi minimum.

I know what you're saying about the shoulders

My failures were all at the front of the belt, new rifle had no issues with brass from the same box.

This was years ago, I've been using the redding competition shell holders now for years to control my shoulder bump since I reload for a couple of rifles in 300 WM. Saves me time.

Last edited:
Measured from the belt per saami spec. I was able to get the rifle replaced as tolerance was .006" over sammi minimum.

I know what you're saying about the shoulders

My failures were all at the front of the belt, new rifle had no issues with brass from the same box.

This was years ago, I've been using the redding competition shell holders now for years to control my shoulder bump since I reload for a couple of rifles in 300 WM. Saves me time.

"I was able to get the rifle replaced as tolerance was .006" over sammi minimum."

But SAAMI max is 7 thou larger than SAAMI min - so a rifle that was "... [..] replaced as tolerance was .006" over sammi minimum."...

... was actually right in spec.

This doesn't make sense??

"I was able to get the rifle replaced as tolerance was .006" over sammi minimum."

But SAAMI max is 7 thou larger than SAAMI min - so a rifle that was "... [..] replaced as tolerance was .006" over sammi minimum."...

... was actually right in spec.

This doesn't make sense??

I'm not sure what your asking, the rifle I had was .011" over saami minimum, so .231. Saami max is .227 so I was able to get the rifle replaced as it was out of spec. I was told by the factory that their standard was minimum +.006" (which wouldn't have mattered because my rifle was out past saami spec) . I had a friend who was a gunsmith ( now retired) helping me figure all this out, his advice was "send it back, they'll send you a new one" so I did.

Go CatShooter ! Meoooow -----Bang!!!! Good luck hunting and be safe.

CatShooter_zpsn6dlqrqe.gif

Just saw your movie Cat, Great shooting! Scope must not have been fogged up. Sure to win a golden globe award. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.