case rim clearance to bolt face

skik

Hi all
i am currently in the research stages of a project build it will be a left hand action 303epps
on a 308 bore i have chosen 308 simply for the greater projectile selection i am looking for a donor rifle my main question is if the case rim on a 303 is .540 is using a action chambered for a case head diameter of .545 going to be to much clearance
any help will be greatly appreciated thanks

If both of those dimensions are correct. It will be fine.

A bolt face needs to be slightly larger than the case rim so it will eject. anywhere from .005 to .007
larger than the rim is good.

J E CUSTOM

If both of those dimensions are correct. It will be fine.

A bolt face needs to be slightly larger than the case rim so it will eject. anywhere from .005 to .007
larger than the rim is good.

J E CUSTOM

thanks J E CUSTOM
my original post i quoted rim diamiter .540 for the 303british rim i was going off my hornaby reloading manual i have measured a few mill surplus and a few pmc cases and they all seem to be close to .527 so would the easiest way to see if it will work be to chase up something chambered with a case head of say .525-.532 and see if the 303 head will work in the bolt face whatever donor rifle i choose will be rebarreld anyway but i figure if i can find something that doesn't need bolt work its one less expense for my project

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.