case necks scratched

Codyg510

On my their last trip through my RCBS competition sizing die all my brass came out with scratched necks. The scratches are on the exterior and cover the entire circumference of the necks. I went ahead and cleaned the die really well and ran some more brass through with the same results. Looks like i scratched the interior of the die with some residual walnut media or something.

1. Will this affect accuracy/consistency?
2. I'm considering using 1500 grit sandpaper to polish the neck portion of the inside of the die. Will this be harmful?

I'm open to ideas/suggestions/information about this issue.

Thanks,

I had a set of RCBS dies (7mm Rem Mag) that did the same thing. I used and old nylon cleaning brush(and a broken cleaning rod with a cordless drill) wrapped in fine steel wool to "polish" the inside of the die. Seemed to work pretty good. Also used the same thing to polish the chamber in a Rem 870 12g that would jam all the time.

Well, i got a little impatient and decided to go with the sandpaper. I wrapped 1500 grit sandpaper around a .22 caliber soft bore brush and clamped it into my electric drill. Slid it into the neck portion of the sizing die and hit the trigger. As soon as the resistance softened i pulled it out and re-wrapped with new sandpaper. Did this 6 times. Put the die back together and sized a casing with no scratches!! Time will tell if this jacked up my accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts