Annealing case necks

I was splitting necks on my 300 rum last year. I watched some videos on you tube and thought I would give it a try. No more split necks, nothing difficult about it. Don't think I ruined any brass.

if you can seat bullets and pull them out with your fingers then you are past the point when you need to anneal.
I have a .303 British and after firing once, forming and seating bullets I can pull the bullets out by hand on most cases. I guess this means I need to anneal after every shot? How many rounds can you get out of annealed brass, on average?

If you are not loading your brass at extremely high pressures and your chamber and your dies are within specs you should be able to go 5-10 firings after annealing. Remember this is one of those situations where more heat is not better. Less heat is better. A dark room and very faint dull red glow is as much as you need to do.

I have a .303 British and after firing once, forming and seating bullets I can pull the bullets out by hand on most cases. I guess this means I need to anneal after every shot? How many rounds can you get out of annealed brass, on average?
Your die's neck diameter may be too large to size the fired case neck down far enough. If you use an expander ball in the sizing die, the die's neck diameter needs to be at least 4 thousandths smaller than a loaded round's neck diameter.

And if you die uses an expander ball, it may be too large. For .311 inch diameter bullets, it typically is about .310 inch. If larger, bullets may not be held tight enough.

Depending on the quality of the brass and the difference between sized case diameters and chamber diameters is no more than 3 to 4 thousandths, I think you should get at least 20 reloads per case with normal pressures without annealing. Maybe more if the difference is less than 3 thousandths.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.