Case head separation with new Browning X- bolt 300 win mag.

jammer300

I purchased a new Browning X-bolt Western Hunter long range in 300 win mag 2 months ago and have been having issues with it ruining brass. The first case was a hand load of 67gr of IMR 4350 Hornady brass and 168gr amax and resulted in case head separation. I thought maybe the brass was getting close to its end of life so I ordered 100 new pieces of Peterson brass and reduced the load down to 65gr of IMR 4350 and 168gr amax and the brass stretched in the web area with the first firing. I ordered some factory ammo to try so I could eliminate my reloading as the problem and the factory loaded ammo is showing the same ring in the brass after 1 shot. I took the rifle to a gunsmith today who checked the head spacing with go- no go gauges and said the spacing was good. We contacted browning and they had not heard of these issues and wanted the rifle sent back to them. I'm just curious if anyone else has had problems like this with any rifles and what might cause it. I wasn't running hot loads and just not sure what would be causing the problem. The gun smith was kinda puzzled too. The casing on the right is the Hornady casing that failed. The 2 in the middle are new Peterson brass loaded with 65gr of IMR 4350 and the one on the left is the factory loaded round. Sorry it's kinda long winded.

Attachments

• IMG_6872.jpeg
    IMG_6872.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 211
How much did the brass grow on the first firing ? Long chamber or oversize chamber ? What do the primers look like on these cases ?

To do what the pic appears to show the distance between the neck/shoulder and the rim/belt section would have to be increasing under pressure and if it was checked properly with an accurate set of go/no go gauges that should be just about impossible unless the bolt lugs are giving or the bolt is compressing and I can't see either one being possible.
I think that I'd try another set of go/no go gauges even though I don't really think that's the problem.

The brass started at 2.610" and after firing now measures 2.615". The primers in the Peterson brass don't show any cratering and don't look bad, however the primer in the separated Hornady case does look pretty flat and there is an ejector mark as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6875.jpeg
    IMG_6875.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6874.jpeg
    IMG_6874.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
To do what the pic appears to show the distance between the neck/shoulder and the rim/belt section would have to be increasing under pressure and if it was checked properly with an accurate set of go/no go gauges that should be just about impossible unless the bolt lugs are giving or the bolt is compressing and I can't see either one being possible.
I think that I'd try another set of go/no go gauges even though I don't really think that's the problem.
I sent the rifle back to Browning today and I'm really curious to see what they will say about it.

The go / no go gauge for a belted magnum is a short gauge that only determines the distance from the belt to case head. It does not determine the distance from shoulder to case head the way most go/ no go gauges work with non belted cartridges.

I would also like to know how much the shoulder moved forward after firing. Sure sounds like a out of spec reamer.

Sounds like there is nothing wrong with the rifle and this is why belted mags get all the bad press. You have to treat it like rimmed brass. In other words. Factory loads and new brass are headspaced on the belt, just like a rimmed cartridge headspaces on the Rim. They both have generous clearance on the shoulder. None of this is good for case life. Both stretch at the web on the first firing. Handloaders wanting the cases to last more than a couple of firings can eliminate this by understanding it and properly fire forming the brass. This means supporting the case at both ends to fireform without it stretching in the middle. Been going on as long as rimmed and belted cases have been handloaded.

There is one, and only one reason cases separate, and that is excessive head space. There is a definite issue here, either with the chamber, or the bolt face.
Belted magnums do not stretch at the web on the first firing because headspace is controlled by the belt. It sounds to me that the issue is with the chamber.
Where's the stretching?

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_2311.jpeg
    IMG_2311.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 104
There is one, and only one reason cases separate, and that is excessive head space. There is a definite issue here, either with the chamber, or the bolt face.
Belted magnums do not stretch at the web on the first firing because headspace is controlled by the belt. It sounds to me that the issue is with the chamber.
Where's the stretching?

Cheers.
They stretch just above the belt. All belted mags share this if not addressed on fireforming.