Rebarrel my .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt?

Litehiker

My A-Bolt has the BOSS barrel with the adjustable muzzle brake. It is accurate until it heats up and begins to walk shots after the first five. Yeah, I know, why would I need more than five shots with a hunting rifle? But remember, zombies often come in large groups.

To lighten and accurize the rifle I've been thinking of getting a Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped barrel. (Bartlein stainless barrel inside)
I suppose I could sell the BOSS equipped barrel with the extra non-brake adaptor.

I've checked with McMillan to see if their carbon fiber hunting stock could lighten the rifle. They do have one for it, BTW. But it's only 3 ounces less than my factory plastic stock. Not worth the money that I could be putting into buying a Vortex AMG scope and Nightforce one-piece mount.

Well, it's food for thought. Here's hoping Proof Research lowers their prices, and here's hoping a supermodel falls in love with me. The likelihood or either are slim.

Eric B.

My opinion:

Build a different rifle. Shoot the A-Bolt only to make sure it functions before hunting season and for hunting.

Spend what you would on the A-Bolt on a rifle specifically designed for 20 round strings.

Now what to build. If you reload for your 300WM and don't want lots of different dies, powders and bullets around go with a 300WM. If you don't reload or you are OK with more dies and powders make it a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Go the other way. Heavy stock. Heavy or Carbon wrapped barrel.

or

Scrap all that, get the barrel, get the stock (it's not all about weight) and go for it. Seriously what do I know about what you want.

I have a custom A-Bolt II 7mm RemMag. Awesome actions to build on. The only issues is finding aftermarket parts. But as you have already done your research, go for it. I have been wanting to put a PR barrel on mine for a while, but funds haven't been there.

fullsizeoutput_f36.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f37.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_f38.jpeg

Last edited:
jf, I already have precision dies for both .300 WM and 6.5 CM as I've competed in both calibers. And I have a Ruger Precision rifle and Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. The RPR gets a Proof Research barrel in about another 1,000 rounds or so since I've got over 500m rounds through it now.

Mudrunner, Thanks for the encouragement on theA-Bolt. It's a great design. My Stainless Stalker is all coated in black Teflon and the bolt is as slick as snot on a doorknob.

Soon I'll begin using HBN (Hexagnal Boron Nitride) powder on my bullets B/C they get more velocity yet keep the barrel cooler, this is all B/C HBN is even slipperier than moly coating. So if I add that to a cool running carbon fiber wrapped stainless steel barrel it should last 3,000 rounds with my 6.5 CM RPR and 2,000 rounds in a .300 Win mag.
Cooler barrels last longer and that is a lab proven fact.

Eric B.

Mudrunner, Thanks for the encouragement on theA-Bolt. It's a great design. My Stainless Stalker is all coated in black Teflon and the bolt is as slick as snot on a doorknob.

Eric B.
I love mine, and the actions only get smoother once you get those 3 lugs polished and lapped, and the raceways polished. If I could find a way to make my magazine about 1/4" longer (so I could seat closer to the lands), it would be awesome. I think other than the lack of aftermarket following, the internal magazine's internal length, is a bit too short to run any of the heavy high-BC bullets near the lands.

I wonder if each caliber magazine is longer? For example, mine is a 7mmRM, naturally, the .300WM is a longer cartridge, which makes me wonder is the factory .300WM has a longer internal dimension? And the RUM cartridges, as well...

Is there any way you could measure the inside dimensions of your factory ABII .300WM magazine with your calipers and post them up here? That way I can compare... Because if your magazine allows for a longer OAL, I can just order a factory .300WM magazine, instead of modifying my current 7mmRM one.

I know the widths are the same, I'm referring to the internal length of the mags... The .300WM cartridge is longer than the 7mm RemMag, so I was curious if the magazine had a longer internal length. Do any of the A-Bolt mags have longer internal lengths? RUM mags?

I confess that in my ignorance I bought the Browning laminated "thumbhole" stock for my .300 Win. mag. A-Bolt. IT looked SO purrty. Then I discovered it was a boat anchor! I even had it epoxy and pillar bedded. It does help the rifle shoot great and helps absorb some recoil.

So yes, with a Proof Research barrel I can use that heavy laminated stock for, say 1,000 yard F Class events if I like punishing myself a bit. Shooting 130 gr. Berger Hybrid pills would do well on windy days. Great BC for that bullet.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.