Carrying a folding bone saw?

You can take the head of with a knife faster than a saw, you can take anything apart faster with a knife than a saw but it's knowing where the connection is that you have to hit. Cutting through an elk spine is WAY easier than sawing if you know the spot at each vertebra.

Nevada Game Protectors want proof of what you killed.Thus sawing off the top of the elk head.

And I need teeth from the buck mule deer for their studies.

Eric B.

Nevada Game Protectors want proof of what you killed.Thus sawing off the top of the elk head.

And I need teeth from the buck mule deer for their studies.

Eric B.

Ok not familiar with Nevada game laws so forgive if this is a silly question. Why not just leave attached sex organs or the teat or skin off the top of the head. Seams like a lot of unnecessary work. Also teath can be removed with a knife and a stick.

Just got done last week knocking my bull into 4 squares and popped head all with my pocket knife.Was warm so this was mostly headlamp solo work,hung for eve.Next day was my double pack frames,game bags and a bit of leap frog and santa clause the front shouders,til out of the creek.Then up and out solo,had touch up knife a few times with a mini steel I carry.Now its in vacuum packed bags Yeh:)

You can take the head of with a knife faster than a saw, you can take anything apart faster with a knife than a saw but it's knowing where the connection is that you have to hit. Cutting through an elk spine is WAY easier than sawing if you know the spot at each vertebra.
I agree,a good knife man can pretty much section an elk with a knife.Quartering the hind quarters at the ball socket,chicken wing the fronts,strip the loins and tenderloins and off with head through the vertebrae (the last knuckle)all with knife and it is quite fast to do.I like to make 4 sections and pack it out with a pony if I can so I take a saw or an axe.I need a hatchet /axe/saw anyways for other things out there eg: blazing or reblazing or cutting trail . We never get an elk out whole.Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.