Carbon wraped barrels

Myrifle30-378005.jpg

That rifle "Is Bad to the Bone"

I feel qualified to comment on this subject. Why? Because for one, I own an ABS barrel and have for a couple of years. Also, my company owns an infrared cammera that I can use at will. I also work in an industry that affords me knowledge of conductivity of various materials.

I couldnt tell you if carbon barrels are stiffer or more flexible than steel barrels of equal demensions. One member here years ago claimed his test showed that steel was stiffer.

Harmonics. Couldnt tell you that either. What I can tell you is that the ABS barrel I have flat out shoots. It isnt picky either. 225's, 250's, 300's, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, Berger it doesnt matter. I gave up trying to find the perfect charge weights. I load them to the velcoities I want and it shoots.

Heat conductivity I have proven to myself that the ABS barrel conducts heat out to the surface of the barrel MANY times faster than a steel barrel of identical demensions using identical loads with the same cartridge with the use of an infrared camera shooting each barrel side by side in the same lighting and temperature.

As far as thermal conductivity of carbon, it varies greatly on what type of carbon is used, how it is treated AND the method in which it is applied. The difference between ABS and Cristiensen is night and day. Any time you take fiber strands and weave them together they act like fiber optic cable. It works great for conduction but does little for transfer. It is hard for wrapped fiber to transfer heat from one strand to another.

That said, for the first year, I was not sure if the barrel was worth it. After using it for a couple of years and objectively comparing it to other rifles including my other rifles, I wouldnt trade it for anything. It is perfectly balanced and shoots like an absolute dream. When I wear the barrel out, I will order another just like it. It is overkill for things like sheep, antelope and deer. However with the raw accuracy I am getting, it has become my goto rifle.

The rifle:

HPIM1664.JPG

Last edited:
I don't know if this is correct or not but the way it was explained to me was you need to pick up on the "catch phrase" that pound for pound carbon fiber is stronger. So consider how LARGE in diameter a barrel would be if you compared a steel barrel of say 6lbs to a carbon fiber wrapped barrel of 6lbs. The carbon barrel would be HUGE!

IMO, if this weren't true then why would they make these wrapped barrels larger in diameter than the steel barrel was before it was turned down. Why go bigger unless you have to in order to get the strength back.

B23,

You are right. It takes more volume of carbon fiber to make a barrel stiff than what was there originally, but so what? Remember, carbon fiber is LIGHT, so a carbon fiber reinforced barrel can be the size of a bull barrel & carry like an ultralight.

Ron

The difference between ABS and Cristiensen is night and day.

ME,

Could you expand a bit more on this?

Although I have a long time to wear out my current 338 barrel, I'm sure I'll be looking at a carbon to replace it as weight is a huge factor for a packing rifle and I'll only be older when that time comes.

I've got a 30" Rock Creek heavy fluted, medium Palma contour. Anyone want to take a stab at what a same length, at least as stiff carbon barrel would weigh in comparison? Are we only talking a few ounces here or a pound or two difference?

Jon

Ron

I'm a fan of carbon barrels in fact I plan on going with a ABS/Bettin carbon on my 338 Lap imp. when the time comes to replace it's current tube.

I was only trying to make the point that you need to, basicly, read the fine print.

jmden

It is my understanding that the answer to your questions would hinge on who you had do your carbon wrapped barrel.

Based on the research I've done Christensen Arms turns the barrel down quite a bit smaller before they wrap them than does ABS or Bettin. So obviously the Christensen wrapped barrel is going to be lighter and save you more weight than a barrel turned and wrapped by ABS or Bettin.

I know that doesn't exactly answer your question but, IMO, it's an important factor to keep in mind when comparing weights. One of those apples to apples kind of things.

Depending on your barrel blank, caliber, etc. you can get different contours for your barrel. For example you can get a couple different sizes in a .338 type blank.

I have a 7mm 30 inch rock creek abs carbon wrap barrel, and shoot like dream. When I shoot this barrel out I'll replace it with the exact same kind. Rifle weighs 9.9 pounds with NightForce 50 mm scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.