Carbon barrels

cousinadkins

I'm looking at a new rifle with a carbon wrapped barrel , just how tough and durable are they? Hunting is tough terrain and slips and falls, when your rifle takes a licking is the carbon barrel still good or need a replacement? Thanks

Well keep in mind carbon is about ten times as strong as steel per thickness. So yes it's very tough. Even if you chip off some of the resin on the outside you still have a incredibly strong barrel.
I have never had an issue with mine. Your more likely to mess up the crown on the barrel then mess up the barrel itself.

Well keep in mind carbon is about ten times as strong as steel per thickness. So yes it's very tough. Even if you chip off some of the resin on the outside you still have a incredibly strong barrel.
I have never had an issue with mine. Your more likely to mess up the crown on the barrel then mess up the barrel itself.
Thanks

NOT SHURE about barrels but l have carbonfiber windsurf boards. and thay will crack very very easyly. l allways have to be very gentle with them.

NOT SHURE about barrels but l have carbonfiber windsurf boards. and thay will crack very very easyly. l allways have to be very gentle with them.

Yes the material going in still has to be of high quality. Like everything you can get junk carbon.
I helped test a bunch of Carbon products when I was snowmobiling and quad racing at the professional level and when done right it is incredibly strong. In fact I had a set of handle bars made that was the only pair I couldn't bend or break by landing hard. They all broke when crashing but a solid land with upper body supported by the bars.
FYI I used to look like Popeye back then. Forarms where huge. I'd break my wrist now before bars.
Lol

Yes the material going in still has to be of high quality. Like everything you can get junk carbon.
I helped test a bunch of Carbon products when I was snowmobiling and quad racing at the professional level and when done right it is incredibly strong. In fact I had a set of handle bars made that was the only pair I couldn't bend or break by landing hard. They all broke when crashing but a solid land with upper body supported by the bars.
FYI I used to look like Popeye back then. Forarms where huge. I'd break my wrist now before bars.
Lol
you must have back problems now after all those hard landings :)

I still say that Proof's "Maypole ribbon" style of diagonal, overlapping CF wrapping gives the most uniform way of putting CF on a barrel. Other "sheet layup" methods of adding CF to a barrel result in stronger and weaker areas - i.e. not uniform.

Eric B.

I'm looking at a new rifle with a carbon wrapped barrel , just how tough and durable are they? Hunting is tough terrain and slips and falls, when your rifle takes a licking is the carbon barrel still good or need a replacement? Thanks
I don't know about chipping but, my gunsmith was telling me he had one delivered from a customer a few months ago that showed up completely bent.
No idea what happened to it but he said the box didn't look bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts