carbon fiber barrel or stainless

koathmann

I have a push feed Winchester heavy varmint I want to turn into a 22 Creedmoor. I have been thinking carbon fiber to reduce weight but have been having trouble finding one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Next are they worth the extra cost over stainless,

If you plan to use the existing stock...carbon would fill the channel at less weight......whether the weight difference will make a difference..depends if it's a pack rifle or bench rifle.....
I've a proof in fluted #2..24"steel..and a proof 26" in carbon......
26" to much front heavy..threaded muzzle...wants to tip forward all the time while hunting......
I do have another carbon 22"...will replace the 26" sooner or later....I'm thinking sooner.....now.......

I have a proof carbon barrel. It's my absolute favorite barrel on my favorite rifle. It shoots lights out and looks incredible. It's not "that" much lighter than a similar contour steel barrel, and you could easily get lighter with a Sporter steel barrel.

Worth is defined by you... I know I won't be selling mine, ever 😊

I have a push feed Winchester heavy varmint I want to turn into a 22 Creedmoor. I have been thinking carbon fiber to reduce weight but have been having trouble finding one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Next are they worth the extra cost over stainless,
While I can't justify the cost I have not had any problems, I've had three proofs. but on a build I have coming up proof would've been eight months down the road Bartlein says four so I'm trying a Bartlein carbon this time around.

26" to much front heavy..threaded muzzle...wants to tip forward all the time while hunting......

Some gunsmiths and many amateur DIY assemblers often forget about balance until the build is complete. Qualified gunsmiths take weight and balance into consideration before the build begins. Weight can be added or sometimes weight can be removed, but not always. But no matter what, balance is important to the shooter being comfortable when the all important moment arrives to harvest your deer, elk or other game animal.

A significant number of shooters will admit privately that it is the appearance of the carbon fiber which intrigues them. They will always offer the claim to lighter weight as the all encompassing reason though for spending twice as much on a quality CF barrel than when purchasing a steel barrel. We have all been shown that by using a smaller, lighter contour barrel, weight is saved, also. Rigidity? Run a shorter barrel. There are lots of methods for saving weight and maintaining rigidity. Examine all the facets of a new rifle build before committing to the final purchase.

I'm not a big supporter of the ultra-light rifle fad. Yes, it's a fad since it continually come round then disappears for a while until it's next appearance. Remember the Remington Mountain Rifle fad? Remington couldn't make them fast enough and retailers couldn't keep them in stock. Until that fad ran its course then faded. I personally don't find 5 to 5-1/2lb rifles to be useful or comfortable but that's just me. Others apparently thrive on those tiny rifles.

Recently though, using some Model SeVen actions and shorter #2 Bartlein barrels, I've found a compromise weight and performance rifle for several hunting cartridges including the WSM and SAUM. The shorter barrels can be set up with a larger contour to accommodate suppressors. Fun to play with.

:)

^^Exactly as above this time around because of wait time I chose Bartlein. I have a suppressor in jail so I went from 26 to 22 inches and also went from a proof Sendero to an M 24 contour. shorter yet fatter so yes I am playing with length and weight I really believe it will balance better be stiffer and better able to support the weight of a suppressor.(edit) and yes a big reason for choosing a carbon barrel for this rifle I do love the way they look! But this rifle has always had carbon and it always will.

Last edited:
Wish I could say the same for the two I own. Two very expensive dust collectors, after learning they won't shoot. Fire forming barrels... at best
That is a bummer. I get to hear about the bad ones periodically. So far none for us. I think every barrel maker has the ability to make a bad one.

I take it the manufacturer didn't think there was a problem with yours?

I take it the manufacturer didn't think there was a problem with yours?
I sent one of the barrels back for inspection, after having a gunsmith mount the barrel in his lathe to measure the differential in groove depths. Lathe operator determined three grooves cut identical depth, two grooves cut out of spec deeper. Two grooves extend into the throat, so cut deeper than the throat. Some pics in this Thread:

Consequence of inspection was it met their QC standards. I was told it's "literally... impossible" for their grooves to be cut to differing depths. So SOL. $880 dust collector.

On a more positive side, with both CFW barrels stored in my reloading room, I do notice the reloading room is a much cooler temperature. Amazing - the cooling properties of the carbon fiber wrap! Hahaha 😄 Store enough CFW barrels in one room and no need for air conditioning!

My current feelings;
1) Every additional significant machining (removal of steel) on a barrel, whether fluting, or carbon wrapping, increases the odds of poorer precision... Another chance for negative impact on barrel precision, compared to a plain contoured steel barrel.
2) I can say with extreme confidence... a plain contoured SS barrel that doesn't shoot doesn't hurt as much as a CFW barrel that won't shoot. Hurts a little less than half as much. Very similar to the difference in cost between the two types of barrels.

I talked with a Smith yesterday about number of barrel groves. He told me that if you are using a 6 flute reamer on a 5 groove barrel that when the reamer flute engages a land it is not supported on the opposite side and causes the nose of the reamer to flex. Resulting in an out of round throat. Basically you would wind up with a 5 sided throat out of round. Anyway, not to derail, but wondering if this applies to your situation? @phorwath

Unless you are willing to Inlet your barrel channel etc then stick with steel. Me, I've never had a carbon not perform very well so I'm a fan. They look good to me, balance the rifle for hunting better, and perform as good as any other brand of steel barrel I've had. Only negative I've found is cost but that's subjective. Some dudes claim their 4000.00 scope is superior to a 3000.00 scope. So guys claim their 3000.00 scope is better. Arguements never end. My determination is that you will be happy whichever you go but if you've never had a carbon, why not find out for yourself.