Capability of the .260 rem

Gota6.5

Hey everyone,

I've got a custom .260 that I built up on a Rem 700, that with 123 and 142gn SMK's will group 1/2 moa consistently.

My question is, what is the realistic max hunting range of this calibre?, when used on deer sized game? The numbers I have run tel me that the 142's hold 1000ftlbs out to around 600yds. With sufficient accuracy to group inside 6" (vital zone)at this range, I summise that 600yds would be the max for this cartridge.

Am I assuming correctly?

With those bullets I'd probably asy that 600yds was a stretch ,the only reason being that the SMK's are built pretty stout and I doubt that you would get good expansion at that range.
Now move to a 140gr Berger or A-max that has a alot thinner jacket and softer lead for the core and the 260 is a 1000yd deer rifle ,I took my longest ever deer this past season at 944yds with a 140gr Berger.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/new-personal-best-deer-morning-27009/

+1 on the 140 amax.- The berger has a higher BC but in my experience terminal ballistics are not so impressive as the Amax. I have more experience with the latter, shooting out of a 6,5 x 284, so I am not saying the Berger does not work. In fact I´ve switched to see if I can strech my distances with the higher BC.....

Thanks,

So assuming the bullet will expand reliably at range, we agree that 600yds is about max for the .260?

If so, what would be the minimum recommended scope magnification to shoot an animal with a 12-16" shoulder to brisket measurement, at that range?

4.5x14 is what I would use, but a 3.5x10 would work.
I prefer higher magnification myself.

Is your .5 MOA grouping @ 600 yards from the bench or field shooting?
Ditto on the either AMax or Berger.

It is doing 1/2 moa field shooting, and off the bench will do a smidge better (around .4)

Thanks for the advice, looks like it could be a 3.5-10 going on it. The country we hunt here is very rugged, and involves a lot of climbing so I don't want to make the rifle too difficult to carry. As it is my only rifle, it also gets used for quick close range offhand shooting too, so balance is a consideration also.

If your gun will hold .5MOA at 1000yds with either the 140 A-max or 140gr Berger then I would not hesitate shooting deer up to the 250lb range out to 1000yds with the 260.

Due to the Sierra Match Kings strounger desgine I would not shoot mid size game any farther than 60yyds because I don't think the bullet will expand reliably at speeds much slower than that.

Thanks,

So assuming the bullet will expand reliably at range, we agree that 600yds is about max for the .260?

If so, what would be the minimum recommended scope magnification to shoot an animal with a 12-16" shoulder to brisket measurement, at that range?

Didn't you read James Jones post he took his best Deer ever at 944 yards with the 260 and believe that it is a 100 yard Deer cartridge with the proper bullet

by James Jones
With those bullets I'd probably asy that 600yds was a stretch ,the only reason being that the SMK's are built pretty stout and I doubt that you would get good expansion at that range.
Now move to a 140gr Berger or A-max that has a alot thinner jacket and softer lead for the core and the 260 is a 1000yd deer rifle ,I took my longest ever deer this past season at 944yds with a 140gr Berger. [Quote/]

Read about it here;

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/new-personal-best-deer-morning-27009/

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.