Canting

Code4

While not long range I have a canting problem.

My 250-3000 is zeroed at 100 yards 0.8" high and dead centre.
A few days ago I checked zero at 200 yards and it was 2.5" low (expected) and 2.5" to the right.

Today I shot the same load at 200 yards with the rifle canted off to the left at approx. 20 deg. ie the scope centreline was on the left of the bore centreline. The group was 2.5" low and dead centre.

Clearly the scope is not perpendicular to the bore. Which way do I rotate the scope to correct this ?

Thank you for the reply. I'm thinking scope mounts may not be aligned with the action properly.

I'm surprised at only one answer so far. Clearly this doesn't happen too often.

...... or the barrel has been threaded off centre.

Custom Mauser '98,
Special order Lothar walther barrel blank #3 profile,
250-3000 +0.035" throat,
Weaver grand slam bases.
Leupold PRW 30mm rings
Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42*T scope.

A hunting set up for use in the outback where my longest shot will be approx 250-275 yards at Australian native ferals, dingos and for neck shooting camels.

I guess I can learn to hold off 2.5" at 200 yards but I'd like to find the reason this happens.

Did you lap the rings before you installed the scope?
Who drilled the holes for the scope bases? Are they reputable?
How are your groups. Always the same size?
Last thing would be to rotate the scope to the left until the 200 yard groups line up with the 100 Yard groups.
You have some cool stuff to shoot. Are camels a pest down there?
What's a native feral?

Groups are all the same. The mount holes are probably out as I don't know who drilled them.

An Aussie feral is a kangaroo, however it is illegal to shoot them without a special permit.

Camels are a major outback pest being an introduced species. Pop. is approx. 2 million and they double pop. every 9 years.

Here is the largest old bull I've shot so far with a.264WM and 140 Woodleigh at 150 yards.

I have no good advice for your scope alignment issue, other than what was already stated. I felt the need to reply as "for neck shooting camels" and the picture above are both fantastic. Good luck with them critters there down under, sure looks like fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.