Cannot decide what scope for a lightweight Mtn rifle

I have both the Leupold 2.5 - 8 and a Swarovski AV 3-9 X 36, and have used them for well over a decade. The Leupold has evolved through at least one more generation since I bought the one I have, and I think the Swarovski I have is the predecessor to the one you're talking about. Over the years, I have liked the Leupold better, and the picture is somewhat brighter when the light is low. Also, if cosmetics are an issue, the Swarovski is not black in color - it is PURPLE. The adjustments on both scopes are accurate and repeatable, and both are light & compact scopes. I like them both, but if I was going to buy one or the other tomorrow, I would buy the Leupold.

The "light & handy" thing is very important to me, too. I've been using a 30-06 that weights around 8.5 pounds bare, so with a scope & sling and a couple of rounds in the magazine, it's well over nine pounds. As I get older, I'm finding this to be a bit heavy to carry around. I recently got myself a Dakota Model 10 ( in .280 ) that weighs 6.5 pounds, and I put the Leupold scope on it. Weight & balance feels PERFECT, and that's the gun I plan to carry when I go up the mountain. The '06 is probably going to get re-barrelled to 9.3 X 62, for low-elevation hunting for larger animals, and the weight should be about right for that. I'll probably leave the Swarovski on it for now, unless I get the urge to sell that and buy another Leupold. In fact, I could see that happening ……...

I have a safe full of rifles with Leupold scopes, my favorite, go to scope for whitetail hunting is the 2.5-8X, with the fine duplex reticle. Like you they have been around for decades. I also like the clarity of the VXR Firedot scopes

As far as the lightest scope with best optics I think the Swaro Z3 is hard to beat. The 3-9x36 is great but doesn't come with a mil reticle like you can get with the 3-10x42. It is only about an ounce heavier and still about 12 oz. The BRH mil reticle makes the lack of a target turret less of an issue.

Find a 1" tube Zeiss conquest with the adjustable elevation turret in 3x15 and duplex reticle. Like a Dummy I sold one and wish I still had it.

Leupold 3x9x33 with AO, love this scope

I have a couple of these scopes ( without the AO ) and I like them a lot. They used to call it the compact model, and it certainly is that. I don't know if they still make this scope, but it's a gem. I do like their 2.5 X 8 a little better, though, and the one I have with the Leupold Dot reticle is my favorite. ( It's a tapered crosshair with a very tiny dot, and it's the bees' knees for shooting running animals.)

Somebody posted in this thread about an SWFA scope of about the same dimensions as the Leupold 3 X 9 X 33, and it looks interesting. He also said that he has been very happy with their scopes. I'll probably look into that soon.

Hi Cornivorus, The Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 scope is a real little gem and I have one here mounted on a Schultz and Larsen Legacy rifle in .223 calibre.
However as far as I know no one makes an external elevation turret for them and you would be limited to either the 4A or Plex reticle.

The other option is the Z5 3.5-18x44mm BT which weighs in at 15.9 oz and has the ballistic turrets. It is available with the Plex or the 4W which has windage hash marks. I own several of these Z5 BTs and have found them all to track extremely well and the glass is as good as the Leica, Kahles, March and Meopta scopes that I also own.

Another vote for the 1" Zeiss 3-15. My wife has on on her 7mm-08 Kimber Mtn Ascent. in Warne light weight Low Ring Bases. The Gore Optifade Camo that matched the Camo on the Rifle made it a must have. Very light, handy accurate set up. Shoots 3 Barnes LRX Bullets into a .360 group through its soda straw barrel. Whole set up weighs about 6.5 lbs, ready to hunt. Gun Case weighs more than the Rifle!

I have used vx3 2.5-8x36 in the past but now use vx2 2-7x33, price being the main factor. The vx2 is a great scope for the money and for me I cannot justify the extra cost.

Hi Cornivorus, The Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 scope is a real little gem and I have one here mounted on a Schultz and Larsen Legacy rifle in .223 calibre.
However as far as I know no one makes an external elevation turret for them and you would be limited to either the 4A or Plex reticle.

The other option is the Z5 3.5-18x44mm BT which weighs in at 15.9 oz and has the ballistic turrets. It is available with the Plex or the 4W which has windage hash marks. I own several of these Z5 BTs and have found them all to track extremely well and the glass is as good as the Leica, Kahles, March and Meopta scopes that I also own.

On that z3 3x9 , can you reset the elevation turret to zero after you've dialed it in?

Leupold Vari-X-3 3.5-10x50mm AO Duplex (black ring) with tall turrets - 1-inch tube
-- I bought on ebay a few months ago.
'Havent mounted it yet... :D
I find this scope RARE
PHOTOS
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

photos - by seller $475 (ditch those rings) - got it for $430.
we'll see how she does -- later... on my 700 BDL .30-06, or 700 SPS 7mm Mag.

I had an M-8 6x42 AO with tall turrets - 3/4 mil-dot - and it blew my mind how well it tracked with the clicks! - But it did not have real good eye-relief.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.