Can I reuse lapped rings on new gun and scope

I like Burris Signature rings with the plastic, concentric or eccentric inserts.

When using clamp-on rings with Ruger M77 MKII receivers of the investment casting type I always lap rings then mark the bottom of each ring with the last 3 of the S/N for use with a certain receiver. The Ruger rings are also of the investment casting type. I seem to remember tolerances from investment castings are within .007 inches. Lapping shows much variation of Ruger ring ID.

For newer CNC produced rings I don't see much or any advantage from lapping.

I wish Burris would make Signature rings for Ruger M77 MKII's. Having a Ruger with a pic rail would solve many problems.

Reuse them provided they were lapped as a pair.

Not sure if I ammissing somethig here - but "Lapping—or truing up the inside surface of your scope rings—protects the outside of the scope tube from damage; eliminates stress on the tube that could affect the integrity of the scope's internal moving parts; and aids accuracy by removing any stresses that the scope tube could be applying to your rifle's action." That would seem to me that the rings are lapped to a scope body size providing a uniform grip on the scope body.

Not sure if I ammissing somethig here - but "Lapping—or truing up the inside surface of your scope rings—protects the outside of the scope tube from damage; eliminates stress on the tube that could affect the integrity of the scope's internal moving parts; and aids accuracy by removing any stresses that the scope tube could be applying to your rifle's action." That would seem to me that the rings are lapped to a scope body size providing a uniform grip on the scope body
It does, modern machining has made it less of a issue. The bottom line is, you can lapp your rings if you want and if it's done right you'll definitely have a nice nest for the scope. But it's probably not needed.

Not sure if I ammissing somethig here - but "Lapping—or truing up the inside surface of your scope rings—protects the outside of the scope tube from damage; eliminates stress on the tube that could affect the integrity of the scope's internal moving parts; and aids accuracy by removing any stresses that the scope tube could be applying to your rifle's action." That would seem to me that the rings are lapped to a scope body size providing a uniform grip on the scope body.
The problem is the bases you are mounting the rings on. When you lap the rings everything is concentric but if you move it to another rifle those bases probably are misaligned differently than the first rifle's bases.

Yup. You aren't fixing the problem but causing another one. Bed the base of that is the issue and you don't have to lap at all.

Question
I have a set of used TPS rings that were lapped. Are rings lapped to scope and will only work perfect for that scope only.
Or are they lapped to pic rail and will work perfect on all scopes.
They were on a IOR valdada I bought on buy and sell.
I would like to use them on different scope and rail.
Can rings be lapped twice.or will they be to loose.
thanks
They may be fine they may be way off. I you need to mount them and check their trueness with your Alignment Bars (see photo). If they are off by a lot you will be putting bending/torque force on your scope if you mount it. This force could cause your scope seals or the reticle adjustments to malfunction. If they are way off more lapping could open the rings too much to properly grip your scope. Seems all negative, but better correct than ruin your scope.

Attachments

• ScopeRingChecking_.jpg
    ScopeRingChecking_.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 49
I will suggest that those who say that modern rings don't need to be lapped are putting too much faith in the ring mfg's marketing. I have lapped modern, "precision CNC made" rings and the wear pattern resulting indicates quite clearly that they were neither round or truly aligned. Unless the ring mfg uses a Sunnen CK-10 hone or similar to set the final ID of the rings I'm going to lap them because I know that they're not as round as I'd like. Then we get into how the bases or the rail will throw off their alignment. So even honed bore rings on a bedded rail may still need to be lapped or bedded to make them align correctly.

Bedding the bases or the rail to the action should not even be up for discussion. Just do it.

Those tapered point "alignment bars" can lie to you and not even know that they're doing so, and neither will you. The bore centerlines can intersect and still not be coaxial. The front bar could be pointed down .005 degrees and the rear bar could also be pointed down .01 degrees and if you happen to place the bars just in the right spot the points will align and look like they're perfect when they are not. Very lightly lapping the rings together with a single bar will create a wear pattern in the bores of the rings. From that you can read how good or badly the rings are aligned and then decide how to correct them.

Some will lap until the wear pattern indicates that the bores are aligned. Others will bed the scope in the rings. I don't think it really matters how you get to straight, round, aligned scope ring bores as long as you get there.

Unless this level of preparedness is too far down the rabbit hole for you, then don't bother.

Good base, good rings no need to lapp.
The reason I know this is, I have no lapped rings, my scope still dials straight up. I've never had more than just very faint ring marks on any scope, most of the time no ring marks.
Lots have changed in the last 20 years.
I've never had good rings and bases be the cause of any scope problems. I have had cheap stuff show problems. Especially eBay and Amazon China AR mounts. Don't buy those things!! junk!!!

My experience contradicts both of yours. One set of high quality rings had a note in the box saying that lapping was not necessary, it was. They were off of true and not round at all. I'll keep doing what I'm doing until it proves unnecessary.