I need help. Question on Scope rings.

So I am going to be shooting a Sendero 7mm Rem Mag. Think I will need a one piece rail with lugs? What were you shooting?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone have experience with Burris Rail Mounts?

I am now sold on the Signature Burris Zee Rings but I have not yet chosen a mounting system yet. I am looking for some advice and am running out of money.

Josh

I use the bases made for the application by the ring manufacture. For the ones that I recommend it would be Burris. This question is kinda related to a question that was asked to me earlier of what rings to use on a Burris eliminator scope.:) LOL

So I mainly want to shoot game with the sendero 7mm.

How about this set up.

Rings:
Burris Zee rings

Mount:
Burris 2 piece bar mount Burris Xtreme Steel 2 Piece Bases

And yes I want to take it elk hunting this fall.

And yes I wish I still lived in Idaho.. . . .

I have used the aluminum Tally two piece rings with the interval bases on my 6.5x284 Cooper. They have worked OK but they do need to be lapped for good contact and are not very durable. A few years ago my rifle took a severe blow from a fall impacting the bell of the scope, and the bases were deformed. The scope was fine , but my hunt was finished with that rifle. Overall, I am not a fan of traditionally styled ring/base mounts. While I have a rifle that has the Burris Z rings, I am skeptical of using plastic in the ring mount. It is very difficult to control the physical properties of plastic.....brittleness, temperature stability, etc. My tactical and LR shooters use steel bases and rings. All my rifles have either NF or Mark4 bases, and Mark4 rings. I agree with a prior post that the Nightforce base with the integral recoil lug is a superb design, particularly for the magnums. They might be costly, add weight, and be overkill, but I feel the added confidence and reliability is well worth the trade offs. IMHO.

So I am going to be shooting a Sendero 7mm Rem Mag. Think I will need a one piece rail with lugs? What were you shooting?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone have experience with Burris Rail Mounts?

I am now sold on the Signature Burris Zee Rings but I have not yet chosen a mounting system yet. I am looking for some advice and am running out of money.

Josh

I was shooting a breaked .375. H&H. Since your rifle is a heavier model, little is to be gained by choosing lighter mounts. Another thing I've noticed, we have a tendency to spend lots of dough on the rifle itself, then try to save money on the scopes and mounts. If the crosshairs are not staying in place, or we get a cheap scope with second-rate glass or adjustments, we run a big risk of having issues in the field and everything else is wasted. Case in point my missed warthog.

Conversely, inexpensive rifles often shoot as well, with the same reliability as their expensive counterparts, same is not true of scopes and mounts.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.