Can gunsmiths get parts quicker?

robert6715

I am a profesional mechanic, therefore I can get non stocked parts and backordered parts faster than the guy who just walks into the parts store, due to the volume of parts I order.

I was wondering if this is true for gunsmiths also? It seems if you order 20-30 barrels or stocks or whatever a year you would get preferential treatment.

The reason I ask is because it is taking my smith a long time to get me a McMillian stock. I know there web site says it is taking 6 months, and I believe my smith when he says he ordered my stock over six months ago.

Just curious. Rob

If a 'smith orders 20-30 stocks/barrels per year or 20-30 triggers/actions at one time he will/might get a better price (depending, of course) but, he gets 'put in line' by most manufactuers, like everyone else. I think many manufactures (not all) would rather sell to individuals as the can sell for retail instead of a discounted rate. To most manufacters, it's all about volume in one way or another. More money selling at retail, less hastle selling at a discount to a 'smith that knows what he wants without guessing and will be ordering more than 'one'.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.