Can anyone recommend an attorny....

If he can't afford his own attorney the state will appoint one. Do not go it alone. Sounds like they charged him w/attempt to commit a felony (aluminum cans) but then charged him w/possesion of firearm during the commission of a felony. Attempt and commission are not the same...just an example of why a lawyer is best...they look f/inconsistencies.

I agree with you on libys and idiots that run California...and I don't want to insult your friend but, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know you don't carry a pistol let alone loaded into California.

as the saying goes... a person who is representing himself has a fool for a client.

let the experts handle it.

Contact this good gentleman. J. Jeffries Goodwin, JD, Attorney at Law, Goodwin Law Corporation, 2300 Bell Executive Lane, Sacramento CA 95825, 916 929-6000, fax is 916 929-5137.

Mr. Goodwin is an experienced attorney for firearms charges, has intimate knowledge and actively pushes back against Sacramento legislation against firearms. He is a Safari Club International member and teaches Hunter Safety locally.

At the least he could recommend a local guy for you.

update.......he has already gone to court once over this with an attorney he hired from the area. last i heard they had dropped the charges concerning the aluminum cans and were dropping the gun charges to misdemeanors. Bad news is it has cost him over $15,000 so far before any fines. They are having to sell the house they owned there to pay for this.

What part of "shall not be infringed " dont they understand out there? AJ

......In the Barstow California area that handles gun related crimes? My buddy just got arrested for the heinous crime of smuggling aluminum cans into the state, and during the arrest a loaded .22 pistol was found in his vehicle. He is now charged with conspiracy to commit grand theft, loaded weapon in a vehicle, and having a loaded weapon during the commission of a felony. If anyone has a name and number of a good attorny in the area i would sure appreciate the help. AJ

The good guys get nailed and the bad guys get a free lunch...Sorry to hear about your friend.

The bad guys broke into my shop a month ago, kicked the door in, stole tools and two motorcycles. Two weeks later, the cops caught one of them in a stolen car. The cops then went to their house and found several other stolen cars, stolen guns, tools, other motorcycles and my motorcycles (one of which was on the dudes back yard deck.)

I got my bikes back, but not the tools. Apprently, the cops could not gain entry into the house where my tools were because the thief was just a room mate. The judge would not give them a search warrent cause the thief was not on title with the house.

Two days later, the thief was out of bail working his back yard on other cars. My friend is his next door neighbor. Apparently he caught them stealing stuff from him and he beat the %@&$ out of him. Three of his other neighbors have had break ins as well. In fact one of the neighbors had one of them at gun point and they broke away and ran.

It is sad to hear stories like your friends when the real criminals enjoy our freedoms and they continue their ways even after getting caught.

kz

kellyzier, good to hear you got your bikes back. Another good reason to own guns.

There was a kid (17 y/o) that just got arrested for stealing a loaded .40 out of one of my buddies trucks. Not only did he steal it, he also filed the serial number off of it then (unknowingly) tried to sell it to my buddy! One of the guys here at work doesn't exactly run with the right crowd and caught wind of a pistol for sale. He knew my buddy was missing a gun so he called my buddy up and the two of them went to check it out. When they got there my buddy checked it out..same pistol, same ammo, no serial number. Of course, my buddy confronted him about it but didn't want to take the weapon just because the fact that it didn't have a serial number on it. He had already reported the gun missing so he called the cop again and told him the whole story. SURPRISE! The cop knew this kid and had already suspected he was stealing guns from other local homes. Anyway, they set up an undercover sting, solicited the gun using the same kid that works here as a reference and bought my buddies gun, then took this kid down and conducted a search warrant that came up with several other stolen firearms and electronics. Last I heard he was being charged with 4 felonies and 4 misdemeanors.

We live in a pretty small town, we definitely don't need someone like that running around.

Now that the serial numbers have been filed off, what will happen to the gun? Will it be destroyed or returned to your friend once the trial is over and the gun as evidence is no longer needed?

Looks like the gun will be destroyed. Possessing a gun without a serial number seems like more of a hassle than anything, even if for some reason he is legally allowed to keep it. I'm not 100% positive, though. I'll talk to him here in the next few days and see what he knows about it.

I would imagine the serial number could be easily tracked down and wondering if it could be stamped on the gun again. Let us know what you find out, just wondering what the authorities procedure is.

Well, the court date came and went. It was supposed to be quick -- the confession and the rest of the evidence should have sped things up. Of course, it didn't go as planned because the kid stood up in the middle of the trial and demanded he be declared (and tried as) an adult. This was a surprise to everyone, even his attorney. So anyway, I guess there's a new date somewhere down the line because of the more serious charges.

And as for the gun, it will be destroyed. The prosecution is going to try to get some money out of the kid to replace it, but that won't likely happen.

Not a smart move to do anything that comes as a surprise to your attorney.

There was a kid (17 y/o) that just got arrested for stealing a loaded .40 out of one of my buddies trucks. Not only did he steal it, he also filed the serial number off of it then (unknowingly) tried to sell it to my buddy! One of the guys here at work doesn't exactly run with the right crowd and caught wind of a pistol for sale. He knew my buddy was missing a gun so he called my buddy up and the two of them went to check it out. When they got there my buddy checked it out..same pistol, same ammo, no serial number. Of course, my buddy confronted him about it but didn't want to take the weapon just because the fact that it didn't have a serial number on it. He had already reported the gun missing so he called the cop again and told him the whole story. SURPRISE! The cop knew this kid and had already suspected he was stealing guns from other local homes. Anyway, they set up an undercover sting, solicited the gun using the same kid that works here as a reference and bought my buddies gun, then took this kid down and conducted a search warrant that came up with several other stolen firearms and electronics. Last I heard he was being charged with 4 felonies and 4 misdemeanors.

We live in a pretty small town, we definitely don't need someone like that running around.

Good thing they got the kid... but wouldn't it be hard for him to steal guns if there were none lying around accessible?

I'm not disputing gun ownership, I own rifles and guns myself. I just don't think they should be anywhere accessible unless you're handling them...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.