Can anyone help?

benji7mm

I have recently purchased a sako 75 in 270wsm with a worn out barrell. My plan is to re-barrell I am however stuck on calibre choice. Im keen on a wild cat round and was thinking of the 6.5/300 WSM. Has any one had any experience with this calibre? Any other calibre suggestions? Any help and/or advise would be much appreciated.

gun)

Last edited:
Fast twist 277 throated long, to accept, & stabilize the 165, or 175gr Matrix bullets if your reaching way out there. I love my 270WSM, but I live & hunt in Elk country, & my personal minimum for Elk is 270 on up.
I'm a big fan of the WSM. In fact I love that WSM cartriges so much that my first build is a 300WSM on a long action for launching 180, & 200gr bullets. But if I ever wanna push its limits on I can try a 230 Berger without cramping case capacity.

Call me odd but I'm just not much of a fan of "metric designated calibers". If you call it a .243 its ok, but if you call it a 6 mm I don't like it anymore. Same with .264 vs 6.5.... Weird mental block maybe? I dunno. I'm just weird like that Hahaha:D

Metric mental block & all, a .264/300WSM sounds cool for LR Deer, Antelope, & targets imo.:D

If Elk are on the menue, id personally go bigger. I'm fully aware that a number of Elk have fallen to .264's, & will continue to fall to them, but for me there are just too many better Elk cartriges to choose from.
Have you looked into the 375 Ruger parent case wildcats?
Good luck with your choice. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.