Can a "trigger job" be undone ?

hemiford

Looking at a Rem 700 with a "trigger job" on the factory trigger, pre-2006.
Now, I don't know exactly what is done that entails a trigger job, but if I
buy the rifle and then find that I don't like it, is it merely a matter of adjustment
or does it involve metalwork that can't be undone and would require
replacement parts ?

Looking at a Rem 700 with a "trigger job" on the factory trigger, pre-2006.
Now, I don't know exactly what is done that entails a trigger job, but if I
buy the rifle and then find that I don't like it, is it merely a matter of adjustment
or does it involve metalwork that can't be undone and would require
replacement parts ?
I don't think anyone can definitively tell you one way or another, but a Rem 700 trigger is adjustable... and there are after market triggers you can replace the factory trigger with; which are also adjustable.

I would test the trigger before I bought it.

Trigger Jobs can be well done or they can be a disaster.

If they are not done correctly they can be dangerous at any weight. (The sear surface has to be Honed to the exact, correct angle.

Test the trigger With the rifle empty and bounce the but stock on the floor to see if it will go off
while cocked. also with the safety on pull the trigger, Then flip the safety off briskly to see if it will go off when the safety is disengaged.

If you are not sure about it plan on replacing it with a good aftermarket trigger.

I would plan on replacing it if you don't know the smith that did it. and if the seller did it I would for sure replace it.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

My hunt friend had a trigger job on his rifle which seemed to work well. After about a year the safety would not work and a few months later he tried the bump test and it failed that. He took it to a well known smith and was told when stoning the trigger only the surface is hardened the area below is not. His trigger internals literally wore down and was replaced with a Timney. Be safe, have a smith check it out. Good luck

All of my modern 700s have an adjustable trigger from the factory. They all had a sealant over the screws to avoid unwanted movement that had to be removed. I adjust all my own triggers, but this is not something that should be attempted unless you are sure you know what you are doing. Ask the seller if he took it to a trusted gunsmith for adjustment. You should be able to undo the adjustment if you don't like it. If he tells you he filed or sanded the trigger down, I would clarify what he did. It's one thing to remove unwanted burrs, it's another to round the trigger sear or change the sear angle. Both of the last two can be dangerous if not done correctly, and should only be necessary if the trigger was faulty.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.