Can 308 do everything you need a rifle to do under 600 yards?

I've killed a pile of deer with a 308. It's my dad's favorite caliber. He's had several rifles chambered in it. So I grew up shooting it and have bought a couple myself over the years. I like to play too much to only own one caliber but if I were to go that route. The 308 would be a top pick. For deer sized game to 600. As far as buying a 3006 or 300WSM. I don't see a huge gain going to the 06 over the 308. The 300WSM on the other hand is a nice round but good brass isn't super plentiful. If looking at a 300 it would a 300 WM or PRC. I guess this was the long way around to saying. Yes the 308 will do everything you want to do out to 600 yards

With the advancements in bullets, wouldn't a 7-08 get the edge on a 308 as a "do all" cartridge? I'm not speaking from experience between the two, just comparing numbers.

Yeah me too. The ballistics of a 7x57 in a SA. Thrifty efficient and good with kids. What's not to like. 😁
The only caveat would be I knew a guy that hunted elk with a 308 Win and 165 Partition. 300 yards and in he usually harvested a nice bull. Pharmseller harvests a ton elk with his 7-08 also so they're both proven elk killers.

I sometimes wish I'd purchased my little kimber adirondack in 708 rather than 308 but with modern off the shelf ammunition it really doesn't matter anymore. I can run 130-200gr out of it depending on range and application.
There's a bunch of overlap and inside 400 yards both will do the job. Fit either in a long action with heavy for caliber bullets and the game is on lol.

Simply put...yes. I've owned two other three and shot them most of my adult life, there is no doubt in my mind that they would and do perform outstandingly at 600 yards. Just my 0.2 Cheers

I think a better title would be 'do I need a magnum under 600' for any 'game on planet earth', and no, you don't. If you want to pack a 8lb+ heavy scoped rifle around the backcountry then go for it. Then again I realize this is a long range hunting site :)

A super lightweight 260 would do the job at that range.

My Winchester FWT 30-06 is my 400 yards and under rifle. A 308 Win or 7-08 would work and may replace it. 7mm Rem Mag for beyond that. 260 AI just for fun multi-purpose rifle.

With certain bullets such as the Badlands .308 150 there's not much advantage ballistically to the 7-08 over the .308. I'm running my 18" bolt gun 308 with a 150 Badlands at 3075 FPS. It's a killer of anything that gets in front of it.

What load are you using to get the 150 to 3075? Bbl length? I get pressure with the 150 HH at just over 3,000fps in my 22".