Calling Bobcats

wdsmhunter

Hi - I'm looking for tips on calling for bobcats. I have a (primos?) CatNip mouth call, which I think I've gotten responses from, but it hasn't pulled anything in.

My experience is only limited to looking for them while bowhunting whitetails, when the deer aren't cooperating. I did have one walk thru broadside at chip shot range once, because it was a week before bobcats were open of course!

Ya i think they are the coolest animal. Love getting pics of them. Someday persistence will pay off. I was fortunate enough to trap one a few years ago and sure love looking at the mount everyday.

Varmint calling of any kind can be frustrating at times, so I had to change my methods to improve my success and here are some tips that worked for me.

First I had to except the fact that I was not that good at some mouth calls, so I tried an electronic call with real sounds (Not computer generated) and this helped.

First, I went cheep and bought one (I think it was a Johnny Stewart) that used tapes with recorded sounds and the sound quality was poor. Then after having a bobcat jump in the blind with me after the call I decided to go with a wireless remote system, (I also had a friend that had an encounter with a mountain Lion when he sat the call right next to him) to move the call well away from me. (Fox pro) with dual speakers, (One is a metal horn and the other is a speaker). This combination has worked out very well for different calls.

It has 50 calls programed into it for a wide variety of uses. (5 different calls for each species). the big plus with this system is that when calling, the game/varmint is looking for/at the call and doesn't see you. This was a big help for bow hunting because they were focused on the call and didn't notice the movement while drawing the bow.

There are other brands to chose from, but my Fox Pro is over 10 years old and still running great. I talked to Fox Pro about a new remote (Mine is getting worn out) and they said No problem. There customer service Has been very friendly the few times I have talked to them about upgrading some of the calls.

For the really smart Varmints, I hide it in a pile of brush that prevents them from seeing or destroying the call at a good distance away and up wind from me for best results.

Mine looks something like this one except camo.

Long winded, but my experience with calling some game and Varmints.

J E CUSTOM

One thing about Bob's is you will have to stay on stand longer than say a song dog. I have called many cats in with some coming in after say 10 minutes of calling. The majority have been in the 30 to 40 min range, you also have to really be watching as they will not just walk or run out like a dog but will usually be behind a bush or tree.

no special call is needed, your typical whabbit call has worked for me. I've had them come to my call when I'm calling bruins and I've had them come during winter while calling yotez....

I find it interesting that most of them have come in and sat up and have been watching me when I spotted them.

Great place for a 17 HMR

Not a predator hunter myself, but been through multiple coyote hunts. With a distressed rabbit call (foxpro) it seems to sure brings the cats in... (south Texas)...hunting over some pastures, which is a rarity down there, so it's easier to see them coming... they tend to hang around perimeter of field... anytime we are around scrub brush they're impossible to see/hidden until they're on you (at least in my experience)

Sorry I disappeared for a bit - thanks for all of the input! I do have a FoxPro call, that I have not spent much time using the last couple of years - but sounds like I need to fire it up! I have read elsewhere that they do take their sweet time approaching a call and that they often pick you out before you pick them out, which makes it that much more interesting to me.

I'm in Iowa and our weather (during open bobcat seasons) can vary from 60s and mild to below zero and snow. I see a few of you are from Texas - but do you see Bobcats more during specific weather patterns? And do you prefer particular times of day to up your odds?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.