Calling all smith's

Yes I was going to both at the same time. I was wondering about the piller? It seams to me ever time some one says pillers and bedding there talking about wood

Last edited:
Pillar bedding began as a means to avoid the guard screws from crushing wood fibers in a stock. This is potentially problematic because a crushed stock won't hold the tensile load on the fastener and over a period of time it can result in reduced screw tension.

The problems associated with using a rifle with loose guard screws being pretty self explanatory.

Since then it has evolved into synthetic stocks as well and I think (am convinced) it has merit.

Again I resort back to the days of fiddling with smallbore guns used in ISSF and Olympic shooting. Rimfires are a fussy bunch and small differences in the guns mean potentially huge changes down range.

Most synthetic stocks are made well enough to tolerate the tensile load applied by a little 1/4-28 screw. The differences though can and do result in changes in how a smallbore gun shoots so for this game it's almost a given to pillar bed every stock. Since it certainly can't hurt to use this same philosophy in "big boy" guns it's also pretty common in centerfire rifles nowadays.

Regardless of what you do, make good and sure your screws contact in two places and two places only. The threaded hole in the receiver and the register in your trigger guard/floor metal/estucheon. If it contacts anywhere else all bets are off. The recoil lug is what is supposed to transmit recoil to your shoulder. The guard screws shouldn't and if they do you WILL have flyers.

Good luck.

thank you chad. So in every ones best intrest piller should be installed by a G.smith. Now there is no bedding done on conposet stocks? It dont stay glued right?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.