Calling 7mm08 Guys/Gals

timberelk

Wanted to see if any of you guys/gals have velocities for a 20" 7mm08 barrel? Please include weight of bullet too

Also, I would appreciate including your furthest kill shot have been with a 7mm08. Please include animal type, bullet choice, velocity, distance, barrel length and any other important information.

My first deer rifle that was bought for me was a Ruger M77 MKII All-Weather Mountain Rifle (20" barrel) 7mm-08 when I was around 12. Back then we didn't have a chronograph and we didn't reload, so I have no idea what MV's were from that gun. I can say this, farthest kill was a whitetail doe at around 450 yards with factory Hornady Custom 139 SST ammo (I think the Superformance ammo replaced it). Worked great. So I've been around the 7mm-08 for almost 20 years now. It was a SWAG shot, but it worked. I was sighted in 2.5" high at 100, and I set the crosshairs at the top of her shoulder/back, and dropped the hammer...She kicked, ran, and dropped about 50 yards away. One day I'm going to build a 26" 7mm-08 AI for pushing the Berger 195's.

Hornady says 2,950 with the 139 SST Superformance ammo in a 24" barrel, so I'm figuring around 35 FPS loss per inch, so I'm estimating about 2,810 FPS from a 20" barrel.

I recently bought a Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 with a 20" barrel. I'm getting 3000fps with 120 grain NBT(Varget) and 2800fps with 140 grain Accubonds(RL16). Both loads are at book max.

I haven't shot anything with it, but paper unfortunately.

Accuracy has been great with both loads, as well.

2850 with Varget and a 140 grain accubond. Wife tipped a cow elk over last year at 440 yards

I recently bought a Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 with a 20" barrel. I'm getting 3000fps with 120 grain NBT(Varget) and 2800fps with 140 grain Accubonds(RL16). Both loads are at book max.

2850 with Varget and a 140 grain accubond. Wife tipped a cow elk over last year at 440 yards

Looks like bow of you are very close to reloading manual max velocities. It appears that the 7mm-08 really doesn't need a 24" or 22"

Looks like bow of you are very close to reloading manual max velocities. It appears that the 7mm-08 really doesn't need a 24" or 22"
It's a lot like the .308 Win, in that it doesn't have to have a long barrel to get good performance, but just like with anything, you will get more velocity from the 24" barrel over the 20".

I bought this exact same rifle, put it in a Bell & Carlson stock and I am seeing the same 2800 fps with the 140 accubonds using H4350. I shot 3 deer this year and all 3 did not take a step. All were close range though, less than 150yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.