California monster public land buck!!!

califoriahunter

This buck was killed with an over the counter tag in California! Not a bad little deer for California!

image.jpg

Looks more like a CA public land ELK. ;)

I'm just super Jealous. Congrats to that guy. I have either sex archery tag and will probably end up getting a doe. Haven't seen many bucks at all.

Nope vast majority of this state is over the counter tags. Also a huge portion of those over the counter tag zones are private property. If that was an OTC tag and that deer was taken on a 50000 acre private ranch with little hunting pressure it's nowhere near as impressive to me than if it were taken on public land. I used to have the pleasure of accessing numerous large private ranches for work. The size of bucks and their stupidity level on those private ranches was comical compared to how wary a public land forkie who's been dodging poachers it's entire short life can be.

Well all tags in california are a draw but a, b, c and d never sell there quota so really there just a OTC tags lol. What d zone did u hunt? This one was the d3-5 tag

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.