Calibre choice for hunting

I didn't realize it would be that much of a difference. Does anybody make brass for that or is it only had from necking down .300 brass?

I didn't realize it would be that much of a difference. Does anybody make brass for that or is it only had from necking down .300 brass?

If you went with a straight 7mm-300 WinMag, it would be a very simple 1-step necking-down process to make brass for it. You would take brand new .300WM brass and run them through the 7mm-300 WinMag full-length sizer die, and then when you shoot them the first time, it will form the cases to your chamber. And then you have fully-formed 7mm-300 WinMag brass.

With the right powder and bullet combo, 10 grains of powder can make for a decent velocity increase.

7mm-300WM is only 7 grains of powder over 7mm RemMag.

7mm-300WM Improved 40* with a .010" wall taper will get you 10.2 grains increase over 7mm RemMag.

Now, if you compare a straight 7mm RemMag with an equal weight-for-caliber bullet to a straight .300 WinMag with an equal weight-for-caliber bullet, you get nearly a ballistic tie across the board despite the powder capacity increase. Because the added weight and diameter of the heavier and larger .30 caliber bullet eats the difference in the larger powder charge weight for the .300WM bringing to a nearly level plane with the 7mm RemMag with it's lighter and smaller diameter bullet.

I went with the .308 (300RUM). Not quite as expensive, abusive, etc as the larger .338 magnums. To me a good 30 or 7 is hard to beat. Both are very versatile and more practical than a wildcatted 338 super mag. Not that I wouldn't like one, but to me the 30s and 7s are more practical and have a wide selection of good bullets for whatever your intended purpose may be. jmo

If you went with a straight 7mm-300 WinMag, it would be a very simple 1-step necking-down process to make brass for it. You would take brand new .300WM brass and run them through the 7mm-300 WinMag full-length sizer die, and then when you shoot them the first time, it will form the cases to your chamber. And then you have fully-formed 7mm-300 WinMag brass.

With the right powder and bullet combo, 10 grains of powder can make for a decent velocity increase.

7mm-300WM is only 7 grains of powder over 7mm RemMag.

7mm-300WM Improved 40* with a .010" wall taper will get you 10.2 grains increase over 7mm RemMag.

Now, if you compare a straight 7mm RemMag with an equal weight-for-caliber bullet to a straight .300 WinMag with an equal weight-for-caliber bullet, you get nearly a ballistic tie across the board despite the powder capacity increase. Because the added weight and diameter of the heavier and larger .30 caliber bullet eats the difference in the larger powder charge weight for the .300WM bringing to a nearly level plane with the 7mm RemMag with it's lighter and smaller diameter bullet.

Thanks for the info I always like to here the apples to apples comparison. So if all things equal as in weight-for-caliber bullets they are the same balistics wise? The 300 would carry more energy for the larger heavier bullet with the 7mm having less recoil? Is this correct?. Sounds like the conundrum of the .338& .375 AM have.

So, ballistically they are neck and neck, calibre to cartridge. But the .300 mag would carry a lot more energy with the same ballistics correct?

Thanks for the info I always like to here the apples to apples comparison. So if all things equal as in weight-for-caliber bullets they are the same balistics wise? The 300 would carry more energy for the larger heavier bullet with the 7mm having less recoil? Is this correct?. Sounds like the conundrum of the .338& .375 AM have.

Essentially, yes.

7mm RemMag = More velocity, Less Engery, and Less recoil.
.300 WinMag = Less velocity, More Energy, but More recoil.

So, ballistically they are neck and neck, calibre to cartridge. But the .300 mag would carry a lot more energy with the same ballistics correct?

I wouldn't say "a lot", but it does carry more from the heavier weight of the bullet.

But if you were to compare apples to apples, try the 7mm-300 WM with the new Berger 195 EOL, vs. the .300 WM with the 215 Hybrid. I would be willing to bet that there would be a very negligible difference other than maybe a few ft. Lbs. of energy going to the slightly heavier 215 Hybrid.

At 1000 yards, the 7mm RM with a 180 VLD w/ a .673 G1 BC moving at 3,050 MV, would have 1831 FPS & 1,340 ft. Lbs.

At 1000 yards, the .300 WM with a 210 VLD w/ a .631 G1 BC moving at 3,050 MV, would have 1,762 FPS & 1,448 ft. Lbs.

Well in that case, you have the same case capacity, and two bullets which are close in weight. So the only difference really would be the fact that the 7mm bullet would be longer to accomodate the weight so the flight ballistics would be different, correct? Comparing those two, the 7-300 should shoot a lot flatter than the .300, I mean I would think.

Well in that case, you have the same case capacity, and two bullets which are close in weight. So the only difference really would be the fact that the 7mm bullet would be longer to accomodate the weight so the flight ballistics would be different, correct? Comparing those two, the 7-300 should shoot a lot flatter than the .300, I mean I would think.

Yes, as far as flight path, a 7mm bullet with a higher BC moving at equal speed as a .308 caliber with a lower BC, the 7mm with have a flatter trajectory and less wind drift. But the .30 will hit harder.

So it's kind of give-and-take.

Sorta kinda not really related, if I settle on a belted magnum, who makes the best brass? I know Lapua doesn't touch the belted cases.

Sorta kinda not really related, if I settle on a belted magnum, who makes the best brass? I know Lapua doesn't touch the belted cases.

Nosler has been the best for me. Norma is not bad, but the Nosler cases get shipped from Norma to Nosler, where the flash holes are deburred, the case mouths are chamfered and deburred, the brass is polished up nice and shiny, and then weight-sorted and packaged so all the cases are similar in weight, meaning they have the most similar case capacity, so that is one less step you have to do.

Some folks say they haven't have had good experiences with it, but over the last 4+ years of using Nosler brass I haven't had any issues with any of mine. Hornady is not bad brass either. Winchester is also decent stuff. I am not a fan of Rem or Fed brass. Rem is too inconsistant for me, and Fed has caused me a lot of case/head seperations.

RWS brass when you can find it is a substantial step up. It's made for both the 7rem and 300win. Also instead of the 210 use the 215 berger. It has a .696G1 and the shorter bearing surface as well as the the hybrid ojive make it easier to push faster than the 210 as well as find an accurate seating depth if hindered by a mag box.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.