Calibre choice for hunting

TK 1985

I like the 6.5 bullets, the Creedmoor is great for whitetail. But if I'm going to start planning a longer range rig, I may as well go with something that can take bigger game such as elk, if I ever choose to go on a hunt.

So my question is, what calibres offer bullets with a high BC as well as reliable terminal performance on game? Maybe the .30, or is it more beneficial to jump up to the .338?

Granted I don't have much experience with it, but aren't the bullet choices more limited with the 7mm?

Granted I don't have much experience with it, but aren't the bullet choices more limited with the 7mm?

I'd say that the current 7mm bullet selection is pretty much on-par with the diversity of the current .30 caliber selection that's available. There are more than enough 7mm bullet options out there for you to find what you need. 7mm bullet options can range from 100 grains to 200 grains.

For long range, I'd look at the Berger 7mm 195 EOL. The BC is monstrous. Granted, you will need a 8" twist barrel, but that will allow you to stabilize any 7mm offering currently available. Build you a 28" barreled 7mm-300 WinMag, .28 Nosler, or 7mm STW and you can launch those 195's over 3K and you will have a long range beast.

Well then maybe I will have to take a hard look at the 7mm, look into the different cartridges available, including the ones you mentioned. Is the .300 win mag necked down that much different than a 7mm Rem mag? Don't they use the same parent case?

+1 for a 300 win. Whatever you choose make sure you can purchase enough brass to last the life of the barrel.

I know I started this about calibres but why do you guys prefer the .300 win mag over say an ultra mag, or one of the other cannon rounds?

I also like my 300 win over my 7mm just my choice both are great. I would choose it over the others because unless you get into really long range 1000 plus the 300 does the job. A 338 lapua is a bit over kill under 500 on most game. We're as the 300 is what I call a one and done. Meaning you can build one great rifle the way you want and hunt everything with it from white tail to moose close to far bullet selection is endless. Just been around forever and still just as viable today against all the new stuff.

Well then maybe I will have to take a hard look at the 7mm, look into the different cartridges available, including the ones you mentioned. Is the .300 win mag necked down that much different than a 7mm Rem mag? Don't they use the same parent case?

Well, pretty much all the American belted magnum cartridges that are still in use today were designed off the .375 H&H case, with the exception of some random wildcats, the .240 Weatherby, and the .378 Weatherby based cartridges.

I love the 7mm RemMag, and have had 5 of them over the years, and still have 2, but you won't get the most out of the 195 as you would with the super mag cartridges (.28 Nosler, 7mm STW, 7RUM, etc...) that have very large capacities to propel that heavy bullet at very high velocities.

The standard 7mm-300 WinMag holds around 7 grains more powder over the 7mmRM. If you go with the 7mm-300 WinMag Improved 40º shoulder with .010" wall taper, then you are looking at a 10.2 grain increase.

TK 1985, I'm rather fond of larger bore rifles, so with that said, I'd suggest the .338 Win. Mag. My wife has used it exclusively since 1994. she's taken most everything Wyoming has to offer. At this point in time, she has no desire to change. memtb

I know I started this about calibres but why do you guys prefer the .300 win mag over say an ultra mag, or one of the other cannon rounds?

Because responding in .308 caliber alone is not suffice, thus we provided you with the chamberings (.300 AAC Blackout vs .300 Win Mag are both .308 cals. and obviously there's a huge difference :rolleyes:). Perhaps to need to define what your LRH distance is first as I did ...

The .300 Win Mag is hard to beat and is my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up 1K yards.

Of course you can use any of the .308 chamberings larger than the .300 WM.

Cheers!

Well Feenix I wanted to look at bullets first then look at different cartridges. The 6.5 creedmoor will be fine for 600 and closer, not to mention my .30-06. I don't really see the need for one of the extreme distance cannons here in PA as 1100+ isn't a shot I have anywhere other than the range. I'm tentatively looking at the .300 mag, and 7mm Mag right now, easy to get brass for either, plus from what you're saying there are just as many good 7mm bullets as there are .30 cal
Now if the 7-300 is 10 grains more capacity that's only like a .5% increase in velocity, guesstimating the numbers in my head. S as far as simplicity, the 7mm rem mag would be the better choice correct?

Well Feenix I wanted to look at bullets first then look at different cartridges. The 6.5 creedmoor will be fine for 600 and closer, not to mention my .30-06. I don't really see the need for one of the extreme distance cannons here in PA as 1100+ isn't a shot I have anywhere other than the range. I'm tentatively looking at the .300 mag, and 7mm Mag right now, easy to get brass for either, plus from what you're saying there are just as many good 7mm bullets as there are .30 cal
Now if the 7-300 is 10 grains more capacity that's only like a .5% increase in velocity, guesstimating the numbers in my head. S as far as simplicity, the 7mm rem mag would be the better choice correct?

There's nothing wrong with all that you mentioned, it boils down to your personal preference for your intended use. BTW, having the additional 10 grains is a huge advantage.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.