caliber or cartridge tread

Twolf

caliber is the size of the bullet examples = 25 caliber /.257 ,30 caliber /.308 , 6.5 /.264 > cartridge is case and bullet loaded examples = 6.5 Creedmoor , 30-06 - 300 win. mag -308 win. ,338 Win.mag. saying : what is the best caliber is wrong the correct question is what is the best cartridge.

Please show us on the doll where the nomenclature touched you.

Just playing. You're preaching to the choir but like many other things, language is not a static thing. Language evolves, meanings change. Just look at the dictionary definition of "theory" in Webster's. There are 2 definitions there that are directly contradictory of each other. If language changing over time and becoming less precise bothers you, you're going to have a rough rest of your life. I'd suggest picking a different hill to die on.

In guns, particularly firearms, caliber (or calibre; sometimes abbreviated as " cal ") is the specified nominal internal diameter of the gun barrel bore - regardless of how or where the bore is measured and whether the finished bore matches that specification. It is measured in inches or in millimeters.

A cartridge or a round is a type of pre-assembled firearm ammunition packaging a projectile (bullet, shot, or slug), a propellant substance (usually either smokeless powder or black powder) and an ignition device (primer) within a metallic, paper, or plastic case that is precisely made to fit within the barrel chamber of a breechloading gun, for the practical purpose of convenient transportation and handling during shooting.

Caliber = Rifling size in barrel - size the barrel was drilled
Bore = the groves cut in the caliber for the rifling
Example .3380 caliber has a .3300 Bore
Cartridge = 338 Lapua Mag or 338 Win Mag or 338RUM - (Case, Primer, Powder, Bullet)

It really gets confusing with small bores and some especially wildcats and obscure stuff can be named by caliber, bore size, something close rounded off. Etc. 33OKH, .338WM And .340 Weatherby all shoot the same bullets. This can get really confusing with smaller bores that are very close in bore size.

best cartridge is the one in which the shooter can accurately place their shots on game or target out to the ranges he/she can hit exactly where they are aiming , for some that might be a .22 for others it may be a 500 nitro express
for me it's any firearm chambered in a cartridge that does not have the word magnum in it's description i don't do well with recoil

I just thought of a good one. Any of you youngsters ever heard of the .256 Newton? Any idea the caliber? Hint, it shoots .264" Dia bullets.
early fall of 2021 i purchased a very old Newton rifle in a 256 Newton that was made in 1917 ,this old rifle had a very old weaver scope that is longer than normal. i reloaded some 256 Newton brass that came with the rifle ,sighted the rifle in that had the old Weaver scope on it ,this rifle shot 1 1/2 inch 3shot groups . i did take it deer hunting and shot and killed a whitetail doe at about 80 - 100 yards away right thru the center of her lungs , i used 6.5 Berger bullets and i don`t remember the grain size off hand ?

One thing that surprised me was I had been reloading the 270 for about 10 years then I measured the bullet diameter in millimeters and it's a 7mm.
Now, look up the bore dia of a 7mm barrel. You will be shocked. Drum roll please!!!! It is .277 for most manufacturers. Same as a .270 Groove dia and bullet dia. 7MM is actually the bore size and you could make a good argument the caliber is named wrong. You could also make a strong argument that a .270 Is the true 7MM, and the .284 win is named properly. This is like the previous post I had with the .256 Newton. .264 barrels have a .256 bore. We also have a .257 Caliber. No wonder folks new to our sport constantly get confused. There is no real standard when it comes to naming cartridges, or even calibers. This reminds me of folks moving here and trying to learn English. They say it makes no sense. Actually it does, its just that it is different for each person that named a cartridge, and if you asked him he could give you a good, logical reason. for the rest of us, like English you have to learn it and "Just Know". Now my head hurts.

"Caliber or Cartridge TREAD"?
As in how much traction they get? How they walk?
If you want to talk about proper terminology, make sure you have your spelling correct. Because "tread" and "thread" have vastly different meanings. Just like "caliber" and "cartridge". 😆
Sometimes you just gotta know what he meant LOL. However, I do think this thread is relevent and useful. We have quite a few folks on here that could let this soak awhile.

Marketing teams just love to come up with cool sounding names that will stir up interest. It makes it difficult sometimes to have a true technical dialogue with the uninitiated. We just need to be a little more tolerant of those who use the wrong nomenclature in a world where there is so confusion in naming conventions.

"Caliber or Cartridge TREAD"?
As in how much traction they get? How they walk?
If you want to talk about proper terminology, make sure you have your spelling correct. Because "tread" and "thread" have vastly different meanings. Just like "caliber" and "cartridge". 😆
sometimes its happens when you forget a letter or two ? its good that we have a few perfect people and thanks .