Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .22-250

• .243 Win

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• Total voters
I've had some epic prairie dog and whistle pig hunts over the decades, and one rifle is never the answer as even heavy barrels can become really hot with lots of shooting. Indeed, I've had trips where 3 or even 4 rifles were needed to let things cool down. As such, multiple chamberings made sense. My typical outing would mean bringing a a 22LR or 22mag, .223 and a 22-250. If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably have the 22-250 using a faster twist to shoot the heavier bullets for longer shots in the ever blowing winds of the west. As it was, I used 55g BTs in both the 223 and 22-250 as I learned early on the extra wind drift associated with lighter bullets. I've often wondered how accurately tracking scopes might have improved our hit ratio. We'd sight in the 223 for 200yds and the 22-250 for 300. Wind and elevation holds were all seat of the pants.... Lots of shooting fun, but not particularly efficient. I remember days of expending 1000+ rounds in a day, multiple cleaning breaks, and coming home with blisters:)

In order of preference, 204, 220 Swift, 223 & 6mm/284. .17's are marginal as you get a lot of wounded dogs. If I had to choose one it would be 220 Swift. Good for 500 yds. Most important is a good sturdy table w/ sand bags. A good PD shoot is hard on barrels....take several guns & switch often.

Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be!
50 BMG ....it's the only thing I can find enough primers for

Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be!
Cant go wrong with either 204 or 22-250. I woul bring both. I always bring couple backups when in Wyoming

Take a 223 loaded with 40gr V-Max bullets, good out to 500 yards. And, a 204 Ruger loaded with 32gr. V- Maxs for shooting while the 223 is cooling down. Larger calibers get hot after 5-8 shots.

Here I shoot woodchucks, whistle pigs , out to 900 yds with my Savage 6.5 Creedmoor only taking 3-4 per outing so maybe 50 to 75 shots a summer. I look at it as practice for Texas Mule deer and Pronghorn.

I personal,y have used a 22-250 Ackley Improved for prairie dogsl. I load to about rwhat a typical 22-250 will dol. I have killed prairie dogs at 850 yards and somewhat beyond with my rifle, but it is fitted with 1:9 twist barrel which allows shooting more long range bullets.

I prefer the .204 with 40 grain bullets

Last time I went to ND and MT, I took a Remington 700 in 22-250 shooting 55gr Ballistic Tips and a Ruger M77 MkII Target in 243 shooting 70gr Ballistic Tips. It was the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Made a couple of 600+ shots with the 243.

I use two calibers. 17HMR and 20 practical with 40 grain bullets. We don't have long shots

Last edited: