6.5 creed for prairie dogs?

Kimber7man

I'm limited to two rifles for my prairie dog trip. Don't ask why.
so the tikka varmint 223 is coming along with its favorite Fiocchi 50 vmax Ammo. About 1,000 rounds for 2 days.
I have to decide on rifle 2
22 Creedmoor with 300 rounds of 75 ELDM or
6.5 Creedmoor with 400 + rounds of 120 scenar. Also have 135 classic hunter.

is the 6.5 too much gun?

so the tikka varmint 223 is coming along with its favorite Fiocchi 50 vmax Ammo. About 1,000 rounds for 2 days.

is the 6.5 too much gun?
I hope not.... as I just built a 6.5 X47 Lapua using 130 bergers

is the 6.5 too much gun?

No, just too expensive! Shoot what works best. Don't sell the 223 short. Can be very effective on them little doggies.

I guess I will throw in my two cents worth here. I hunt "dogs" all through the spring, summer and fall. Two of my friend and I try to do a week a month when the dogs are up – we are ROF's (retired old farts). Shoot I even carry a couple 'dog' guns to deer camp (hunt the same area). I usually carry five rifles and two pistols: 17 Mach IV, 17 Remington, 223 Remington and 22-250 Remington along with a 17 HMR and two 14" Contenders one in 223 Remington, one in 221 Fireball. I limit my 17 calibers to about 250 yards. But the two 22 caliber rifles I have no problem going out to 500 yards. I have also carried a 6mm Remington and 6.5 Grendel for fun. One thing I do use exclusively is a fragmentable type of bullet (Hornady V-Max and SPSX, Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint and Varmageddon). Where I shoot, north-central Nebraska, south-central South Dakota and east-central Wyoming, is relativity flat. In the past there have been problems with 'city slickers' shooting cheap FMJ bullets and slinging that slug all over the place. The FMJ bullets have a big problem with ricocheting while the fragmentable type disintegrate upon impact (be it a dog or dirt).
As for the amount of ammo, well that depends on how hot the shooting is. I have completely run out on occasion.
You can use anything to shoot a 'dog", I even shot one with a Sharps 40-65 WCF once. But remember, if you start slinging bullets all over, you might not be asked back!

Just my own personal opinion.

Took a new shooter Prairie Dogging this past week. Putting it mildly, He's HOOKEDo_O
It happened during the First Hour too. He brought along just ONE gun. Tis a Winchester Model 70 Heavy Varmint in 223Rem with a 6-18 Leupold. His ammo was Fiocche 55gr VMAX... Made an AMAZING shot of 553yds... That's a hundred yards further than l have killed a PD shooting a 223Rem. l've been doing this since the 90s!! He then innocently asked, ''Why did you bring so many GUNS"??

Recent Posts