Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .22-250

• .243 Win

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• Total voters
I have several varmint calibers from 17 calibers, 20 calibers, etc. I've had several ask which one
I like the best? Best answer, the one I'm shooting at the present.
Which ones you take, you will enjoy and not be disappointed. Everyone has their own favorite
caliber.

If 3 rifles ... 17 HMR, 223, and 243 although the 6.5CM with the 95gr vmax in lieu of 243 with 87gr vmax is a fine choice as well ... however, with the 243, you could take 55gr ballistic tips or 58gr vmax in addition to the heavier bullets and blow away the 22-250 easily ...

If only 2 rifles, then the 223 and 243.

I had this exact same decision to make 4 yrs ago when my dad and I went ... we took the following since we could each take 2 rifles:

17hmr
223 (heavy barrel - bolt action)
6mm BR
260 Ackley

We had a blast ...

BTW - the one that got shot the most? ... the 223 ... ammo is (was at that time) cheap ... 50 rounds of Fiocchi with 50gr vmax for $20 ... 40 cents a shot isn't far off what we could load it for ... back then

No matter what you take you will have fun ... with pdogs, the faster the round is moving at impact, the more fun it is.

I use a .223 for almost everything but also have a 220 Swift with a fast twist bbl that shoots 80 gr bullets; the wind drift is half the .223. I have never been a fan of the .22-250 shooting lighter bullets.

I like my .223 . Doesn't use much powder, long barrel life , doesn't heat to bad. I always bring a 6 MM for those gushy dogs. Favorite is 6BR again it's easy on powder and good to a grand. I've found the 17s and 20s to be 300 yard guns if there's any wind and there's always wind.

Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be!
.300 Weatherby 🕺😂 jk, been a while but one time passing thru rural Brighton Colorado I stopped at a party store & for as far as you could see was prairie dogs. Literally thousands upon thousands. I thought it was a mirage.