caliber change

Dick Williams in central Michigan does some great work as well. Any good smith is going to take awhile. I'm suspicious of gunsmith's that don't have a backlog.

You simply will not fit a PRC case into the WSSM action. The PRC case is 2.030 (51.5mm) long, the WSSM is 1.67 (42.4mm) long. Whilst they share the same case head dia., the extra length precludes actions designed for the WSSM from taking a PRC case.

You could rebarrel to 6.5 WSSM which would give performance similar to a 260 Rem or 6.5 Creed.

My personal favourite for these actions is to go up in calibre to 405 and chamber for a 400 WSSM. Same bullets as the 405 Winchester or 450/400 Nitro, similar performance at the muzzle and on critters too.

There's no reason to wait months just for a rebarrel job. Get in contact with Lee Gardner Precision, I believe his lead time right now is about 2 weeks and I know he's somewhere in Illinois. He doesn't have a website but he's active over on Accurate Shooter and he has a facebook page.
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/custom-barrel-services-offered.3889505/

Like others said, the WSSM action is too short for the PRC. You can easily sell or trade that action for one that would work for you though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts