Caliber/barrel length/velocity?

Rich Coyle

I've been thinking there is probably a best compromise where the caliber/barrel length/velocity come together for a light woods/sage rifle. But thinking there is that compromise and having any idea what it is is worlds apart for me.

If one is trying to come up with the best combo for shortest barrel for lightness and longest barrel for velocity, what is the magical caliber? Bigger bore could get a heavier bullet going pretty fast in a short barrel. But it might suffer with a poor ballistic coefficient. A smaller diameter might be better.

With computer programs, or some cleaver brains working, perhaps someone could help me out here. What action? What case? What caliber?

If you don't mind a wildcat, the 338 SS is a great choice! It has a coal under 3" and will shoot a 250 Berger at 2800+. This gives you 4600 ft/lbs of muzzle energy and only 24+ moa at 1000 yards. It is the perfect combination for lots of punch close up as well as 1000 yard plus performance on game in a short action. Barrel length is not too critical because it is so under bore. Head stamped brass available in May or neck up 7 SS for immediate use. Reamers, dies, and brass are all available.

elkaholic,

That sounds like a fantastic cartridge. I would switch to the Hammer Hunter 236 grain though. What barrel length would you recommend?
That's part of the beauty of it. You lose only about10-12' per inch. Steve has been testing the Hammers with some good success! I just used the 250 Berger as an example because it shows well for energy and trajectory. Doc Galan has one on a Tikka with a little more free bore that runs the 250 at 2860' with 60 grains of Varget and shoots bugholes.

I would go with a 7mm-08 Rem, perfect balance of bore size and ballistics, right in the middle. A 24" barrell is perfect, you can push 120gr bullets at 3,000+ fps and 139gr or 140gr to 2,900+ fps.

Better ballistics than bigger bores and still cause wider wound channels than the smaller bores. If you are sensitive to recoil, you'll love this cartridge.

For hunting I have a couple of Remington 700's in 24" barrels that weight 8 pounds with scope, [I use 4x16(wife) and 6x24(mine)] perfect for all types of hunting. They have the X-Mark Pro adjustable trigger and we have them set at 3 lbs.

You can go with a 22" as well and make it more compact and light. You can hunt varmints, deer, black bear and elk with the appropriate bullet. If you reload there are tons of options in bullets and brass to choose from. If you don't, no problem, there is every bullet imaginable available in factory ammo and all at reasonable prices.

So:
Cartridge: 7mm-08 Rem
Action: Reminton 700
Barrel: 24" or 22"
Twist: 1 in 9.25"
Scope: I leave that up to you

Best Regards

LVJ76

Think this has been gone over 6.5 creedmore. Come on you should know that. Lol
I all seriousness it is about perfect for that. 22" barrel no recoil. Able to reach out a good way. Kinda depends on how far you are gonna try and take game.

It's not sexy or cool but The good old.308 has is about the best when talking about a short barreled gun. It's slow to start with so you don't lose much going to a 18-22 in barrel. Lots of bullets to choose from. 150-180 grains bullets will work from short to long range. 300 WSM or other 30 cal short mags would be good choices too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts