Caldwell Lead Sled

Hi All,

"Why own a rifle your afraid to shoot with out a weighted sled"

I saw this statement and sincerely without trying to start an arguement I do think I might have a few valid thoughts on this. :):)

I am one of those in a group of people what I think is the "minority" that does not get bothered with recoil from heavy magnums loads. I shoot 12 guage 3 1/2 magnum loads as pretty much a norm yet I can hand over the gun to someone else, after one or two shots, they want no more of it. This does not mean I am not aware of recoil, that I do not feel the recoil, or that if the day has been very prductive that I don't feel a lil bit of bruised shoulder muscle the next day, but rather recoil is just no big deal. My concentration (and shooting excitement) is almost purely on the shot and not on recoil impact anticipation (that is 90% of the battle). I am also 6'1" and 240#. That may or may not make a difference. I personally feel the 12 gauge 3 1/2 magnum loads have a greater recoil than my 338 Win Mag.

(This is just my thought but I would like to be a "fly on the wall" if someone might disagree) ...having said that, running 32 rounds in one sitting with the 338 Win Mag without the comfort and recoil reduction of a Lead Sled with weight tool and\or a muzzle brake or both, I would be pretty astounded to see most anyone not starting to have some prominent recoil anticipation after about the 10-12th round. That anticipation distracts from zeroing in and testing ammunition. Lets just humor all and say, this just never happens with a few. Okay, but I would just have to believe there would be some unnecessary felt bruising the next day. At 54, I no longer have to prove to my wife I can handle all pain by saying I don't feel anything. :)

I think recoil reduction systems have their place and I think they serve a very nice tool. On the range testing lots of rounds (Lead Sled type machines). Out on the hunt (recoil pads, extra rifle weight, or muzzle brake).

Now if someone is flinching on their one shot chance on the hunt, perhaps a realistic re-evaluation of that particular rifle and the recoil anticipation needs to be reviewed. I luv big magnums and they are exciting to shoot and exciting to feel confident knowing their incredible capabilities if matched and shot correctly. Subjectively speaking, I think with todays options, if someone invests not only the money for the tools, but the time to perfect their firearm shooting, most people can shoot most high magnums.

I am not afraid of the high caliber magnum loads but I "HATE" spiders! (might equate to being afraid) That doesn't keep me from camping or cleaning out the garage. :D

Just my 1.5 cents
Also thanks for your comments and input Winmag. It is appreciated and respected.

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
Well put Steve. I wasnt trying to start an arguement, nor end one. I just dont like it implied that one wasted money to buy a truly universal tool. The tray serves many purposes in combonation with a heavy stable platform for some people. I dont have any bigger kahonies than the next guy, and maybe I'm more ''recoil tollerant'' than some. For me to have an already heavy rest that serves multiple purposes(including recoil reduction) for those long days on the range just doesnt seem like a ''why bother'' investment.The sled was intended for aditional wt. to reduce recoil, yes. But some of us have found other uses for a unique shooting aid/tool. Some may think differently, and thats fine,I just dont like being badgered because I dont do it someone elses way. 30 something rounds of almost any modern caliber would be very distracting, I agree, but ''why bother''....I suppose Leatherman makes a useless ''why bother''tool also if you dont use the needle nose pliers as needle nose pliers were intended? Theyre about the same in price to a Leadsled. Or are there other uses for handy tools. Simply put to each his own. Im NOT trying to discredit/or argue with anyone here. Just stating a difference of opinion. Im done

Trueblue, I apologise for the''why own a rifle your afraid to shoot without a weighted sled'' comment. I WAS OUT OF LINE. and I am making a sincere apology. no-one likes to be whacked by a big magnum or any thing else. Not to mention the fact that the tools intended purpose is reducing recoil by adding wt. for long sessions at the range. I am sorry for the comment.
But I do stand by the rest of the comment about a tools use.

Last edited:
No problem here. Please keep assisting with your comments. People might underestimate their useful comments. Yours are great!

Thanks again
Steve

I bought the sled to sight in my new rifles
Remington BDL LH in 338 rum and 30-06
And to do some testing on reloading
It's a very good tool

I'm using this after the sighting in
Just another tool for the bench
the recoil from the 338 rum gets the blood pumping:)

Last edited:
Earlier I posted that I didn't recomend the use of extra weights and from some of the
comments I though I would clarify why.

The first issue is If you want to use extra weights that is what it was made for so
go for it.

I have seen fractured stocks from being restrained and I was warning everyone that
it could happen under the right circumstances. It almost always happens in the wrist
area where the stock is not as strong as the rest of the stock.

The thing to remember is that the stocks are built to take a certain amount of recoil
and relies on the persons body to absorb the rest of the recoil.

The other reason that I stated that you didn't need to add weight is because the Lead
Sled weights are 2 to 3 times heaver than most rifles and if you double the weight of
any rifle it reduces the recoil in half.

I use it for many uses ,Test fireing. doing maintenance, cleaning,bore sighting ETC and
don't need the weight so I don't add anything to it.

I shoot a lot of big bores and after 40 or 50 rounds I am loosing interest in shooting. but
when I use the sled the sled 40 or 50 rounds is a non event.

One other thing I have observed is that the zero can change from shooting of the sled to
shooting off of bags or bi pods so you should make final sight corrections with the rifle
supported the way you intend to shoot at game.

Even changing from one position to another (Standing to Prone) can change the POI
because the rifle recoils farther back in the standing position.

So if you have to add a lot of weight to the lead Sled it may be time to add a muzzle
Break.

I also saw a turkey hunter break his stock (And almost his shoulder) buy backing up to
a tree and turning loose a 2 1/4 oz load 3 1/2 inch In a nice shotgun.

So be aware it can happen .

J E CUSTOM

Hi J E Custom,
I definitely heard your statement and took into deep consideration regarding the stock possib ly breaking. I mentioned that I will take a few gambles using it with the weights on occasion only. Otherwise your discernment and suggestion of just using the Sled naked is a good suggestion.

I have heard about the POI changing from the Sled to the non-sled sight-ins. I will test this with a few boxes of ammo once I get my rifle back from the gunsmith. That will certainly be a fun test.

"umm.. I am a little confused here though, but I am willing to learn --> "Even changing from one position to another (Standing to Prone) can change the POI
because the rifle recoils farther back in the standing position." I thought the bullet had already left the barrel by the time recoil was initiated. (Gas or mass)

lol- okay, I have been hunting for just a few years. I do not believe I would have ever placed myself against the back of anything solid. :):):)

Excellent points!!!

Thanks
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.