Calculating Long Range MOA

Greg Duerr

Other than Altitude, Barometric Pressure, BC, Velocity, and Temperature what other factors are needed to calculate LR MOA........................Adjustments.

Not counting the wind.............

I don't think its necessary but I usually put barrel twist in there.

Bullet length a long with that will help calculate spin drift if you're really poking out there

Wind, my friend; wind. If you can't read the wind you can't hit the target consistently at long range.
But allowing for wind influences shouldn't be an "adjustment" per se. Because it is not a constant, perhaps we should call it an MOA allowance on the horizontal plane.

I think you can add CE to the list. Never attention to Coriolis Effect as most of my shooting is under 1000 yards, but last year I found that playing around out past 1000-1200 yards it begins to make to make a material difference in MOA settings depending on shooting position. Sounds mystical, but it's easy enough to enter the values of latitude and azimuth in Shooter.

Wind, my friend; wind. If you can't read the wind you can't hit the target consistently at long range.
But allowing for wind influences shouldn't be an "adjustment" per se. Because it is not a constant, perhaps we should call it an MOA allowance on the horizontal plane.

YEP!

windsock.jpg

Best offer advice I could give is spend 30 on amazon and get Litz's applied ballistics book. Best read I ever encountered on shooting specifically long range. It is written in laymans terms and has everything you wanted to know and them some. been shootin 1000 plus for awhile now and it confirmed what I already knew from the guys here and then expanded greatly. Just a thought.

Best offer advice I could give is spend 30 on amazon and get Litz's applied ballistics book. Best read I ever encountered on shooting specifically long range. It is written in laymans terms and has everything you wanted to know and them some. been shootin 1000 plus for awhile now and it confirmed what I already knew from the guys here and then expanded greatly. Just a thought.

Ditto .......................

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.