Calculate Bullet Drop w/ two dead-on's

daniel brothers

I need some help here trying to calculate the bullet drop at unknown yardages with two dead on yardages. There must be a ballistic charts, but I'm not sure how or where to log-in these two ranges and get the rest of them all..... sorry.... but I've been a bowhunter all my life....LOL.

I worked up a load for my long range coyote killer...22-243 AI, with 90gr Bergers and have it shooting okay for me at this moment... but NOT sure what it Chronys at yet.

I have a 1/8 MOA scope on it.

Today when I shot it at 100 yds, it printed 1 1/2" high... so I turned up the turret 4 clicks, and then shot it at 530 yds... dead center was at 4 .6 MOA turret turns. It printed my last 4 shots in a horizontal rectangle, 2 in high, and 5 in wide... with 3 of them only being 1 in high...the fourth shot went another 1 inch high by itself... I guess it didn't want to play with the other three. But I was happy with shooting that far for the first time from my truck roof with Caldwell bags.

But now... how do I figure in the drop for the other ranges with my turrets... does a ballistic program show all that...if so... where is it...?

Forgive me for being so Green here... but you Guys are at fault, for making me put down my bowhunting setup for long range Western Coyotes this Nov & Dec.

Welcome to the game.
The best thing you can do is buy the book "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting" written by Brian Litz (bsl135 or so on here). It comes with a basic ballistic solver and explains how rifle ballistics work.
Secondly get a good chronograph to measure your muzzle velocity (the magnetospeed is pretty accurate in my experience, Oehler or Mehl would be too expensive). With the knowledge from the book and accurate data regarding your loads (data about lots of bullets comes with the book) you will have loads of fun.

I have ammoguide... and I've used different ballistic charts online... but they all require chrony numbers. I was wanting something without the numbers, but with only two sight in points... but things have changed since last night.... I shot it today a few times through the magneto 1 chrony... and they are right at 3400 fps... so I can work off of that. thanks so much anyways... Jesus Bless you... Dan

Great you got a chance to use a chronograph that fast.
Thank you very much for the invitation, as a busy engineering student and non American resident I have too decline though.
Kindness like this can only be found in American forums though, I love the US for that.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.