100 yds will drop 46" at 600 yds. I have
a 17lb. rifle that is very pleasant to
shoot. No brake is needed using only
83grs. of H870. What would I have to go
to caliber wise in order to shoot say
6" to a foot or more flatter? GEG

[ 05-17-2003: Message edited by: GEG ]

G

SLAP really is a 4 letter word, remember you heard it hear first.

MachV

Just for kicks run 4450fps through your calculator with 250grain(BC.450)Barns.My calculator & field experience says 29" @ 600!
Got a couple of gentlemen working on a .7-.8BC bullet that should realy fly flat.Now if I can get them to group a little better?????
SLAP is not a new word Sam....unless you got one that groups????Quit teasin us and explain

GEG

S1, I do not understand SLAP! This rifle
was built for me by Ray on a 700 action
and a 30" Mike Rock 5R barrel. My career
Navy son and I put this rifle thru its
break in and that is what it did. I
was not sure if 46" was good or bad for
a fast 6.5 142gr SMK with 83gr of H870
as we never had a 6.5 before. I ask the
question looking for an answer so as to
determine where I was at on a "flat
shooting" scale not to be funny. Thanks
for the info guys. GEG
be

Kevin

I am not sure on what the actual velocity of this could be but how about taking that down to a 6mm and shooting 105 amax or berger vld at 4000fps should give you at least a foot better at 600.

MachV

Was not realy trying to be funny just giveing an example of what can be done with a different caliber & powder range.The 375/50BMG MachV is flater but at a greater cost of powder,Brass & recoil.
Your figures are about what I am hopeing for with the 6.5WSM when it arrives but hope to get to 1500yards with it.
A long range prairie dog trip in late June will shed a little more light on the 6.5 as there will be a 6.5Winmag,6.5-284,6.5-06 & a 6.5WSM represented.
CJ

MOA

I forgot to mention that you can load a 30 cal sabot in in .50 and get the same trajectory, like a laser..

G

GEG.....Sorry, I never meant to offend you. I think your rifle shoots very flat relative to most. I was actually paying you a compliment, by implying that to get much flatter than what you are already shooting, you would have to go to a different technology which employs the use of a Sabot for increased cross sectional area to gain velocity. There is a type of ammo used in 50 cals called SLAP which uses a sabot and a long narrow tungsten projectile fired at near 5,000 fps. and flies rather flat relative to what you and I shoot for hunting and other targets.

GEG

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I never
have had any dealings with 50cal. stuff
so did not know what it was. As far as
the 6.5-300 Weatherby goes, it looks like it is going to be a flat shooter that will take
deer size animals down a lot further than
I can hold it. Thanks to DC for putting me on to it. Anything flatter would as you
say be moving into an area I do not need to
go. The 17lb. part is going to be a real
trip to pack when I need to use it for
hunting but at least I will know I do not need to get close(inside 600yds) with this rig! THANKS GEG

G

Geg,

Using almost 1/2 the powder charge your using (44gr of 4064) in my CHeetah with a 100 yard zero I have to adjust my elevation to be 7" high at 100 to be on at 600 yards. Thats 42" at 600 yards if I am not mistaken.

Don

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce