Cabelas being bought out???

I heard Cabela's overextended themselves with all the new builds they've been doing. They just last month opened a store in Calgary, about a 10 drive away from the Bass Pro. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I hope it happens...Cabelas has turned into the Walmart of the hunting world. The quality of the "cabelas" branded merchandise has turned to garbage and their return policy which used to be the best in the business is now nonexistent.

25 years ago I used to but fishing equipment from Bass Pro, but about 20 years ago I finally figured it out and their name brand stuff was junk. I used to buy a lot of stuff from Cabalas, but mostly name brand stuff as I'm not into Chinese junk. Same way for Gander Mountain. But Cabalas does carry lines of good quality U.S. made stuff. I can be inside a Bass pro store in about the same travel time as going to Cabalas from my house. But the drive is much easier for the B.P. I'll fight forty miles of heavy traffic every time, and I know Cabalas stands behind everything they sell unlike the other junk dealers
gary

Cabelas used to be THE place to buy excellant quality equipment with top-notch customer service, but that went right down the crapper when Dick and Jim sold the business several years ago.
I still use some of the gear I purchased from them 30 years ago, but their products and most importantly, their customer service, has really suffered under the new management and I have been buying way less from them because of it.
What so many of these big-name American companies fail to understand is that just because they USED TO make quality merchandise, once they take their manufacturing to China and the quality tanks anybody with a brain will just buy the cheap brands that are made on the same assembly line as their expensive brand.

I'll be sad to see them go, and I really hope we don't get a Bass Pro Shop instead, but we still have Big Bear and Shiptons so all hope is not lost.

I fly fish 12 moths a year, and I buy from four or five places. Yet I only have one first class shop near me. Dicks doesn't carry anything I'd ever want. Gander Mountain looks like down town Hong Kong. So I mail order from a couple well placed shops and Cabalas unless I can buy it locally. I've noticed a trend as of late that unless it's a rod and reel, it's made off shore.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.