Cabelas being bought out???

cornchuck

I was told by my neighbor that Bass Pro Shops is looking into buying Cabelas out. Got to looking on the Internet to see what I could find out. No one is saying anything. Bass Pro is quiet. Cabelas has their mouths shut. Did see something where it could be finalized by Jan 1,2016.

Has anyone heard or read something about this?

Jason

I heard just certain stores,not the whole chain. I think it's all speculation right now. It would be weird having no cabelas anymore. If they are going to go away I would rather them close. Then the small shops could rebuild.

Perhaps I should not buy any gift cards for holiday gifts and quickly use the ones I have!!! Got burned on a couple hundred bucks worth on a takeover a few years ago.

Just my two cents worth I really like Cabelas and do lots of business there. Bass pro shop ripped me off one time and I don't forgive easy. hope this marriage don't happen. screw me once shame on you screw me twice shame on me. gun) I look forward to doing more business with Cabelas and WILL NOT do any business with bass pro shop. just my TWO CENTS WORTH lightbulb

Cabelas is 11% owned by Elliott Management. They are one of the main factors in the Dell-EMC deal--private buyout of a public company. Bass Pro is privately held, looking at buying a the publicly held Cabelas. I'm not sure the logic behind these deals, aside from Elliott trying to make a lot of money off their investments.

I hope it happens...Cabelas has turned into the Walmart of the hunting world. The quality of the "cabelas" branded merchandise has turned to garbage and their return policy which used to be the best in the business is now nonexistent.

Im not to worried either. I only go there once a year To use the Cabela points that I have racked up for the year and to use any gift cards I get. Their prices are high. I can get a lot of the things I go there for on other sites for a better price. I do have their credit card that gets used all the time. Wonder if that is going to be discontinued.

Jason

Cabelas used to be THE place to buy excellant quality equipment with top-notch customer service, but that went right down the crapper when Dick and Jim sold the business several years ago.
I still use some of the gear I purchased from them 30 years ago, but their products and most importantly, their customer service, has really suffered under the new management and I have been buying way less from them because of it.
What so many of these big-name American companies fail to understand is that just because they USED TO make quality merchandise, once they take their manufacturing to China and the quality tanks anybody with a brain will just buy the cheap brands that are made on the same assembly line as their expensive brand.

I'll be sad to see them go, and I really hope we don't get a Bass Pro Shop instead, but we still have Big Bear and Shiptons so all hope is not lost.

Not dismissing any gripes but they did NOT sell the company. All they did was go Public. When you go public, Share holders money is more important than anything.

Cabelas used to be THE place to buy excellant quality equipment with top-notch customer service, but that went right down the crapper when Dick and Jim sold the business several years ago.
I still use some of the gear I purchased from them 30 years ago, but their products and most importantly, their customer service, has really suffered under the new management and I have been buying way less from them because of it.
What so many of these big-name American companies fail to understand is that just because they USED TO make quality merchandise, once they take their manufacturing to China and the quality tanks anybody with a brain will just buy the cheap brands that are made on the same assembly line as their expensive brand.

I'll be sad to see them go, and I really hope we don't get a Bass Pro Shop instead, but we still have Big Bear and Shiptons so all hope is not lost.

Not dismissing any gripes but they did NOT sell the company. All they did was go Public. When you go public, Share holders money is more important than anything.

That's true, I don't know if they are still involved in running the company but either way the quality of both their merchandise and their customer service have suffered.

Those are the biggest reasons many of us bought stuff from them through mail order when there wasn't a store to go to (unless you lived in Nebraska).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.