Ca approved bullets?

Which mono are you using? The Hornady ELD-X is great bullet for what it is intended for. Its intended to work great for the medium to longer range hunting space. It is a cup and core bullet with a lead core and a small internal locking ring. Its designed to mushroom at lower velocities than typical copper/lead bullets so it will kill efficiently at longer ranges.
Not legal in CA.

Not legal in CA.
Yeah, the original post was odd, that's why I asked him what mono he was using? I thought he was trying to ask about the ELDX for some other use and some mono but he never mentioned the mono. I think from readying his later posts he's clear now the ELDX is not legal in CA.

Sorry, but all copper in Mex-lfornia only. Not even shoot of any type can be used except for steel and other none lead shot. I don't hunt here in Mex-lfornia any long.
I know that. I assumed he was asking about the ELDX for some other application. His original post was odd. That's why I first asked him what mono he was using. I assumed the ELDX question was for some other application. But I think from reading his next few posts he thought he could use it in CA.

Opinions out there for types of bullets for hunting Elk, deer, antelope? Just starting the reload process, and the no-lead for CA...
I have been using Barnes TTSX and TSX in California and out of state to, and they work great on Deer and ELK. I use RL22, Federal primers and Winchester or Lupua brass. I get my loadings out off the Barnes reloading manual #4.

Opinions out there for types of bullets for hunting Elk, deer, antelope? Just starting the reload process, and the no-lead for CA...
I usually reload the ELD X. I recently moved to California from Colorado so I had to change it up a little bit. I found some Hornady GMX For my 7 mm at the bass pro in Sacramento. Haven't had a chance to use them yet. I also found some Barnes lead free for my 223... But had to get different powder that I haven't used before. You should DM me and we can talk more. I'd love to pick your brain about California hunting

Outer Edge BBT if they are avail there...
065E6492-81FB-4FF3-9B59-B8E9BE0460C1.jpeg
these two .338's recovered against the hide of huge bull camels 🐪

Barnes TTSX is a very good , accurate bullet. When you recover bullets from elk it looks like the advertisement the way the expand
The way petals break off of the Hammer bullets you probally wouldn't recover the bullet it would pass through not saying the Barnes not passing through is a bad thing I've used Barnes when they expand and exit they leave agood blood trail if the animal runs but I personally have gone to the Hammer bullets their really easy to load for and have a good minumal impact vel for expansion for long range the way the bullet is designed you can really get the velocity I'm getting over 3300 fps out of my 6.5 prc 124 gr Hammers 3200 plus on 131 gr Hammers very acc 15 to 30 bullets on load development

6 northern ca pigs down in their own tracks with Barnes tsx or ttsx. 4 with 25-06, 2 with 35 Whelen. 2 Wy antelope down in their own tracks; 25-06 with ttsx. Barnes work. Was hard to get repeatable load tests with Hornady gmx because of extreme dimensional variance lot to lot. Recent load development using Hammer Hunter and Absolute Hunter has been very encouraging as to accuracy, velocity, and ballistic coefficient. Echo a previous comment.... monos in general are longer for equivalent leaded bullet weight so factory rifles in traditional calibers may not be twisted fast enough for heavy monos. Know your rifles twist and pay attention to the bullet makers recommendations. Since monos don't shed weight on impact, they penetrate deep for their weight so the appropriate bullet may seem light but would work just fine. For me, I'd start a new hunting load development with Hammers and would not likely need to look elsewhere.

First experience with Barnes was the original 25 yrs ago in25 cal 257 Roberts custom build I took 10 different head of game from sheep pigs turkey and deer one of my hunting buddies named me the shootist the 100 gr Barnes x was awsome but I really like the Hammer lathe turned bullets and the way they are designed wish I was the guy that came up with that idea Hammers now for me

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.