Ca ridgeline 6.5 284

rockwallraider

CBTO is 2.609. using 143 eldx

What is the farthest you can seat out the bullet and still be safe? to touch the lands the bullet is barely in the neck

What's your distance to the lands with the bullet seated with the top of the boat tail to the neck/shoulder junction on the case?

Rule of thumb is to seat (the minimum) the bullet the diameter of the bullet. But, if you want the most concentric ammo, do what brentc says: top of the boat tail to the neck/shoulder junction. I seat all of my bullets this distance. I did a bunch of seating depth tests and found this was consistently where the bullets liked to be seated

What's your distance to the lands with the bullet seated with the top of the boat tail to the neck/shoulder junction on the case?

is this what you mean?

Attachments

• seating.jpg
    seating.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 349
I have the same rifle, I seat the eldx way the hell out there. I seat the bullet at 2.6 base to ogive. It shoots 1/4 inch groups at 100

I have the same rifle, and if I remember correctly, with Berger 140 gr Elite Hunter the CBTO with top of boattail at neck/should junction was right at 2.400". I started there and tested further into the case, ended up CBTO 2.360".

is this what you mean?
I think brentc means where the angular portion of the boat-tail transitions to the fatter part of the bullet (toward the meplat) make that part even with the top of the shoulder.

In any event, maybe it's dumb luck but I start out seating just about everything .020 off the lands (that's if the mag will accomodate it and it's not more than the diameter of the bullet out of the case). 9 times out of 10, this seating depth works for me and yields more than satisfactory results from an accuracy perspective. With VLDs, I find that neck tension becomes insufficient if I seat stuff too far out (no surprise) which becomes particularly evident when I correct for concentricity and things get "loose".

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.