Butte, MT

I originally had a post a few months back asking about Oregon and Washington because at the time that is what my wife was going to compromise with. She finally conceded that the pacific ocean is not the same as the Atlantic ocean and stopped worrying about being close to it. Then she saw an article about something racist in Prineville, Oregon (she is mixed of many different races) and that really changed her mind. She now has a hard on for Colorado. Colorado may have better hunting opportunity than OR or WA, but they appear as anti-gun as anyone else, which is what I am trying to get away from. In addition, the real estate is pretty expensive in most places in CO as well. So I have tried to steer her toward MT, ID, WY, but it is difficult. She is not a fan of the cold and complains that the areas are not very diverse. She does like the outdoors, not hunting, but just generally being outdoors. I have property and a cabin in central PA I am about to put on the market in a few weeks. Once that sells I am going to list my property in DE, load up the truck and say bye, bye to my state of birth. I am hoping for 10-15 acres of land within 25 minutes to her JW kingdom hall to build on. I am in the manufacturing/engineering field and plan to try to work from home as long as the company I work for will allow it, then figure it out from there. I plan to cash out and put everything into land and a brand new house with everything paid off (no mortgage) and live simple. Spending my days hunting, fishing and galivanting the rocky mountains with a pistol on my side, rifle on my shoulder, and breathing in some of that free air that is still left in our country. I have watched all of my hunting opportunity turn into housing developments in my home state and DE has little to no state or federal land to hunt on, almost all private ground. I appreciate any and all constructive comments from the LRH members. I have to make my escape....
Good on you, and good luck on your new endeavor.

Last edited:
My best of luck to you, Bud! I'll never go back to my home - New Orleans. Great place to get shot or to have to shoot someone. Not interested in leadership that is soft on crime and constantly vacations, spending the taxpayers hard earned tax dollars. Hurricane Katrina was almost twenty years ago ant they still don't have many of the pumps working that would drain the city if needed.

As was mentioned Butte is a mining town with a lot of Irish decent. The drunk Irish miners have manage to keep a lot of the out of state leftist ideas out. Most other bigger Montana cities are not so lucky. Kalispell, Helena, Missoula, Bozeman have all gotten pretty bad. Billings isn't terrible yet but give it time. Billings isn't quite as pretty as the other cities.

You sound like our kind of people and all you have to do to be initiated into the Montana family is chase a leftist out of the state on your way in.

"Racist in Prineville"...hmmm...if she's that insecure about what others think...thats a battle for herself.....find anywhere in the world that doesn't have someone that doesn't have a 'racist' flaw....
But if you want somewhere that has 4 seasons of outdoor sports and recreations.....try southwestern oregon....
More hunting and fishing than you will believe....deer..elk..bear..cougar..birds of all 'colors'....salmon..steelhead..largemouth bass..smallmouth bass..perch..
stripers..tuna..trout........
Ocean..bays..inland waters...
If you have the money...properties to buy and plenty of local builders.....
..and right between Myrtle Point and Coquille a sweet little JW Hall.....overlooking a big long valley....
Catholic and Christian churches....and I'm sure more than you see on a casual glance......
Never extremely cold....but sometimes into the 100s.....wet..sure...only 15 miles from the ocean....
Plenty of struggling small businesses that could use new imput.....
But.....
Live and let live....

I originally had a post a few months back asking about Oregon and Washington because at the time that is what my wife was going to compromise with. She finally conceded that the pacific ocean is not the same as the Atlantic ocean and stopped worrying about being close to it. Then she saw an article about something racist in Prineville, Oregon (she is mixed of many different races) and that really changed her mind. She now has a hard on for Colorado. Colorado may have better hunting opportunity than OR or WA, but they appear as anti-gun as anyone else, which is what I am trying to get away from. In addition, the real estate is pretty expensive in most places in CO as well. So I have tried to steer her toward MT, ID, WY, but it is difficult. She is not a fan of the cold and complains that the areas are not very diverse. She does like the outdoors, not hunting, but just generally being outdoors. I have property and a cabin in central PA I am about to put on the market in a few weeks. Once that sells I am going to list my property in DE, load up the truck and say bye, bye to my state of birth. I am hoping for 10-15 acres of land within 25 minutes to her JW kingdom hall to build on. I am in the manufacturing/engineering field and plan to try to work from home as long as the company I work for will allow it, then figure it out from there. I plan to cash out and put everything into land and a brand new house with everything paid off (no mortgage) and live simple. Spending my days hunting, fishing and galivanting the rocky mountains with a pistol on my side, rifle on my shoulder, and breathing in some of that free air that is still left in our country. I have watched all of my hunting opportunity turn into housing developments in my home state and DE has little to no state or federal land to hunt on, almost all private ground. I appreciate any and all constructive comments from the LRH members. I have to make my escape....
I am one of the few Colorado natives left, it seems, and I have watched what I consider the decline of this state. I think your wife has seen the brochure for Colorado - the lovely mountains, scenic rivers full of fish, skiers with big grins enjoying fresh powder on sunny days. The reality is that since we were the first state to legalize the devil's lettuce, lots of people who enjoy that life style move here and started voting. I knew we were in trouble when I woke up one day in 2012, after the election, and marijuana became legal and we banned "high capacity magazines." The progressive politics that have firmly grabbed hold here since then have meant we have pretty much legalized street drugs, brought us to the top of the nation in auto thefts, and have made criminals out of our cops, paramedics and responsible gun owners.
I will be looking to relocate after retirement.

Problem is I need to be a short drive to a kingdom hall for my wife, otherwise I would live as far from anything as possible. Not sure boulder has a hall. Checked Bozeman and Livingston, they were stupid expensive.
You might look around Twin Bridges, has a Kingdom Hall and we could be neighbors in a few years...

"Racist in Prineville"...hmmm...if she's that insecure about what others think...thats a battle for herself.....find anywhere in the world that doesn't have someone that doesn't have a 'racist' flaw....
But if you want somewhere that has 4 seasons of outdoor sports and recreations.....try southwestern oregon....
More hunting and fishing than you will believe....deer..elk..bear..cougar..birds of all 'colors'....salmon..steelhead..largemouth bass..smallmouth bass..perch..
stripers..tuna..trout........
Ocean..bays..inland waters...
If you have the money...properties to buy and plenty of local builders.....
..and right between Myrtle Point and Coquille a sweet little JW Hall.....overlooking a big long valley....
Catholic and Christian churches....and I'm sure more than you see on a casual glance......
Never extremely cold....but sometimes into the 100s.....wet..sure...only 15 miles from the ocean....
Plenty of struggling small businesses that could use new imput.....
But.....
Live and let live....
Sounds like paradise for responsibly-minded outdoorsmen!

I am one of the few Colorado natives left, it seems, and I have watched what I consider the decline of this state. I think your wife has seen the brochure for Colorado - the lovely mountains, scenic rivers full of fish, skiers with big grins enjoying fresh powder on sunny days. The reality is that since we were the first state to legalize the devil's lettuce, lots of people who enjoy that life style move here and started voting. I knew we were in trouble when I woke up one day in 2012, after the election, and marijuana became legal and we banned "high capacity magazines." The progressive politics that have firmly grabbed hold here since then have meant we have pretty much legalized street drugs, brought us to the top of the nation in auto thefts, and have made criminals out of our cops, paramedics and responsible gun owners.
I will be looking to relocate after retirement.
My condolences. Terrible situation.

Ok guys this one is going to be a bit general but I picked Deer to reach tons of people. My wife and I are looking to move west. I enjoy hunting everything. We have been looking a lot near Butte lately due to the affordability of land, a reasonable size town near by, etc. Anyone have any insight on this town and surrounding area? Good or bad.
I am from Washington, Wise choice staying away from WA. & ORE, you would be sorely disappointed.
You might take a look at Arizona, lots of great elk hunting, as well as a plethora of other game species that provide year round hunting opportunities & you can keep your wife warm

I lived in Butte in the early 2000's and I loved it. Don't know how much it's changed though, it's been nearly 20 years.
Twin Bridges and Ennis are smaller but very nice. Can't speak to the Kingdom Hall angle, don't know that scene. But you gotta keep the Mrs happy for sure.

I am from Washington, Wise choice staying away from WA. & ORE, you would be sorely disappointed.
You might take a look at Arizona, lots of great elk hunting, as well as a plethora of other game species that provide year round hunting opportunities & you can keep your wife warm
Except that you have to draw elk, deer, antelope , etc. to hunt .I have friends that don't draw for years . They have to play the points game like non res. do. They finally drew bull elk after 7 years. Nevada is the same way.

Recent Posts