Butte, MT

7mm man

Ok guys this one is going to be a bit general but I picked Deer to reach tons of people. My wife and I are looking to move west. I enjoy hunting everything. We have been looking a lot near Butte lately due to the affordability of land, a reasonable size town near by, etc. Anyone have any insight on this town and surrounding area? Good or bad.

I get your drift!
Colorado is a great place for stoners.
I've had some great times in Aspen and Snowmass, don't need anything else from there now though.
Take that back, I'd like to hunt the eastern part of the state. Better geared for flat landers.

I get your drift!
Colorado is a great place for stoners.
I've had some great times in Aspen and Snowmass, don't need anything else from there now though.
Take that back, I'd like to hunt the eastern part of the state. Better geared for flat landers.
I grew up there in the 80s and 90s. It was awesome. Not so much anymore.

I'd look a little east in Boulder, nice smaller town and pretty easy drive to anywhere, also arguably the best steak in Montana at the Windsor Bar.
Problem is I need to be a short drive to a kingdom hall for my wife, otherwise I would live as far from anything as possible. Not sure boulder has a hall. Checked Bozeman and Livingston, they were stupid expensive.

Montana is full. I heard everyone is moving to CO instead.
I provided this map to help Commiefornians navigate their way ...
Ca to MT direction.jpg

Problem is I need to be a short drive to a kingdom hall for my wife, otherwise I would live as far from anything as possible. Not sure boulder has a hall. Checked Bozeman and Livingston, they were stupid expensive.
Now I remember that compromise with your wife. That could be tough, and I have to admit, I do not know where they are. 20+ years ago, I would have recommended Belgrade, ~15-20 minutes outside Bozeman, but that is not the case anymore. The truth is that anywhere in MT/US and everything else has increased significantly, especially in the last three years; you already know the root cause. Compared to where you are (in today's economy, not when you purchased your current home), is Butte better for whatever criteria you seek? Good luck!

ADDED: If you are Irish, Butte and its surrounding area are your best bet.

Last edited:
Now I remember that compromise with your wife. That could be tough, and I have to admit, I do not know where they are. 20+ years ago, I would have recommended Belgrade, ~15-20 minutes outside Bozeman, but that is not the case anymore. The truth is that anywhere in MT/US and everything else has increased significantly, especially in the last three years; you already know the root cause. Compared to where you are (in today's economy, not when you purchased your current home), is Butte better for whatever criteria you seek? Good luck!

ADDED: If you are Irish, Butte and its surrounding area are your best bet.
I originally had a post a few months back asking about Oregon and Washington because at the time that is what my wife was going to compromise with. She finally conceded that the pacific ocean is not the same as the Atlantic ocean and stopped worrying about being close to it. Then she saw an article about something racist in Prineville, Oregon (she is mixed of many different races) and that really changed her mind. She now has a hard on for Colorado. Colorado may have better hunting opportunity than OR or WA, but they appear as anti-gun as anyone else, which is what I am trying to get away from. In addition, the real estate is pretty expensive in most places in CO as well. So I have tried to steer her toward MT, ID, WY, but it is difficult. She is not a fan of the cold and complains that the areas are not very diverse. She does like the outdoors, not hunting, but just generally being outdoors. I have property and a cabin in central PA I am about to put on the market in a few weeks. Once that sells I am going to list my property in DE, load up the truck and say bye, bye to my state of birth. I am hoping for 10-15 acres of land within 25 minutes to her JW kingdom hall to build on. I am in the manufacturing/engineering field and plan to try to work from home as long as the company I work for will allow it, then figure it out from there. I plan to cash out and put everything into land and a brand new house with everything paid off (no mortgage) and live simple. Spending my days hunting, fishing and galivanting the rocky mountains with a pistol on my side, rifle on my shoulder, and breathing in some of that free air that is still left in our country. I have watched all of my hunting opportunity turn into housing developments in my home state and DE has little to no state or federal land to hunt on, almost all private ground. I appreciate any and all constructive comments from the LRH members. I have to make my escape....