Butt Pad

Triple BB

I have a butt pad that is an 1 3/8" thick on a 300 RUM with a heavy scope and brake. The thing kicks pretty good, but there really isn't a pain issue as the pad is fairly soft and absorbs the recoil. I think the pad is compressing quite a bit more than any of my harder pads which in turn is allowing more backwards movement with the gun. If everything else on the gun is good, is there a possibility this extra movement is contributing to some erratic groups?

I am by NO means an expert! I was quite into the show top shot awhile back. They had many high speed video of bullets exiting barrels from muzzle loaders to 50 cal. After much frame by frame examination with my limited knowlege it convinced me that the gun is very stable until the bullet exits and the compresssed gases escape the muzzel. By that time the bullet is no longer influenced by the gun. This is why muzzel brakes work in my opinion. Redirecting compressed gas any direction except against the shooter reduces recoil. Someone can prove me wrong, just trying to help.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts