Bushnell 4200 8x32x40

telkev

Does anyone have any experience with this scope? I'm in need for a new scope for my 223 and dont want to spend anything more than what one of these cost. I bought a 3x9 for my daughters rifle and I was impressed by the clairity and brightness. I would like to know how the higher magnification is for clairity, brightness, turret tracking, etc before I order one. Any comments would be appreciated.

I have a 4-16X50 4200 and the tracking sucks.. I can dial in once but it won't return to zero after wards...

If you want to dial in for range then get something else.. but if you don't want to dial then it will be OK..

Great scopes

I use several Elite 4200 scopes with excellent results both mechanically and optically. My scopes have survived my scope torture tests with flying colours (see my article on the home page).

I shoot a 223 as well with 75gr Amax. Presently, my scopes of choice are the 6X24 AO w/ mil dots, the 1" side focus with mil dots. Both will get the 223 a long ways out. I like the mil dots to help with windage hold off and adjusting for elevation.

I shim my short range zero using the 'upper' mil dots so can increase the effective elevation adjustment of my scopes. With 25 to 30min of up, they will not go from 100yds to 1000yds just with turrent elevation alone. A combo of dots and turrents will do the job.

I am looking seriously at the new tactical 30mm version. has 45 to 50min of up which is more then enough for this cartridge.

I use Burris rings w/inserts and sometimes the Farrel MOA base to shim my scopes.

The 8x32 is a great target scope but you will be limited with the amount of up in this scope.

Jerry

I took off my Bushy duplex 4-12x40AO and put a Nikon BDC on, the Nikon was very clear but after 3 months of bench testing i decided i didnt like them BDC circles. So I put the Bushnell back on. Its not a 4200, but its a good scope and very clear. I have several Bushys, some are old, but still pretty clear. Good luck with yours. My .223 has a Tasco High Country 4-16x40AO on it and I sorta like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.